Business Economics BSc (Econ) (Hons)
BSc Econ Hons Business Economics
Sorry, this course has closed to new applicants. We're not updating the course information on this page – it's for reference only.
Want to understand why corporations expand, the impact of entrepreneurs on the world of business or the role of government in regulating markets?
This BSc (Econ) (Hons) Business Economics degree course gives you detailed knowledge of the economic issues and challenges that companies and organisations face. You'll study the economics of a business environment and how this affects the decisions managers make. You'll also learn about the structure and regulation of industry.
A degree in business economics could lead you to a role with commercial firms working in areas such as market intelligence analysis or business forecasting. You could also pursue a career in non-commercial organisations such as competition and regulatory agencies.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Learn from active researchers, whose expertise on topics such as consumer confidence and executive pay has a direct impact on society and the economy
- Track real-time financial and trade data using our Bloomberg suite – you'll receive the Bloomberg Certificate when you graduate to demonstrate your ability to employers
- Learn how to use econometric software packages that professional economists use, such as eViews
- Have the choice to study abroad through our links with overseas universities
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your CV.
After your second year, you can do an optional work placement year to get valuable longer-term work experience in the industry.
Students have completed work placements at:
- IBM’s UK Corporate Office in Portsmouth
- the Government Economic Service
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your aspirations. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
Previous students have gone on to work in roles such as:
- financial analyst
- account manager
- trader in financial assets
- purchasing and acquisitions officer
They've worked in big name companies including:
- Hewlett Packard
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Sorry, this course has closed to new applicants.