Building Defects and Surveys Short course
Building Defects and Surveys (Afternoon Course)
The University of Portsmouth has its own detached property, a former Caretakers ‘Lodge’ that has been turned into a laboratory for the study of building surveys.
On this Building Defects and Surveys short course, you'll get hands-on, with practical exercises that will then be reviewed against the known case history of the building. This will be followed by an explanation of how more advanced surveying techniques might be used by the practicing building surveyor.
Because of the capacity of the Lodge, numbers are limited to 10 delegates on each session.
- Mode of study: Face to face
- Location: University of Portsmouth, ECO Lodge
- Start and end dates: –
- Single bookings: £105
- Multirate (3 or more courses booked at same time): £90
- APC rate: £70
- Apprenticeship rate: £70
- Retired rate: £70
What you'll experience
On this short course you'll cover:
- A practical workshop
- Residential survey reporting
- Defect diagnosis
- Schedule of condition
- Use of equipment
- Thermal imaging
You'll be taught by:
Stephen Neale, a Chartered Building Surveyor responsible for construction technology subjects at the University of Portsmouth. He previously ran his own Building Surveying consultancy specialising in defect diagnosis and commercial energy assessment.
Ray Faulkner, the managing director of iRed Ltd a company set up in 2002. iRed specialises in the use of thermography and other advanced surveying techniques.
Bruce Arnold CEng, FIMechE, MCIBSE is a thermographer and a senior trainer at iRed. He is a chartered engineer, and served in the Royal Navy for many years, Bruce now conducts thermographic building surveys on behalf of iRed specialising in BREEAM and investigative projects.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
How to book
To receive the course multi-discount rate, please ensure you select the multi-discount option when you pay. See the courses available for multi-discount below.
To book onto and pay for this course online, please visit our online store.
This course is fully booked. Please register your interest for future courses by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pay by invoice
Please note this method of payment is only available when no other means of payment is possible, due to the additional administration costs involved.
The following courses are eligible for the multirate discount when you book three or more courses at the same time:
- The CDM Regulations: An update
- Professional Liability
- Construction Law in 2018
- Leasehold Enfranchisement (leases and freeholds) - how to get it right
- Construction and Property Taxation
- Understanding the effects of Dampness and Decay in Buildings
- Accounting for Non Accountants
- Accounting - Valuation Issues
- Understanding Current Practice in Building Services
- Professional Ethics
- Waterproofing Below Ground Structures and Existing Basements
- Business Improvements for Organisations
- Party Walls, Health and Safety and other Legislation
- Looking for Asbestos
- Health and Safety - Managing the Changing Workplace
- Statistics for Non-Statisticians
- Construction Project Management
- Thermal Imaging Building Surveys
- The Planning System in 2019
- Housing Issues: Supply and Affordability
- Building Defects and Surveys
- Understanding Trees, Property and Liability
- Fort Nelson
- London King's Cross Revisited
- Apprenticeship CPD day