Clinical Skills Refresher Programme - Prescribing Radiographs Short course
Clinical Skills Refresher Programme - Prescribing Radiographs
Since the GDC published its new Scope of Practice guidance for dental professionals, dental hygienists and dental therapists have been able to complete additional tasks if ‘trained, competent and indemnified’.
The first is to ‘prescribe radiographs’ and the second is to ‘interpret various film views used in general dental practice’. On this CPD course, you'll train to take on duties relating to referral for radiography, justification of X-ray examinations, selection of appropriate radiographs and clinical evaluation (reporting) of images.
The course is also suitable for hygienists and therapists wishing to keep up-to-date with new developments or requirements. For registrants new to prescribing radiographs, you'll need to complete a portfolio of ten case studies in the following six months, including a reflective account.
Information about compiling the portfolio of evidence will be provided during the course. Attending this CPD activity will contribute towards IR(ME)R operators’ and practitioners’ life-long learning and the hours requirement of verifiable CPD.
Part of our 5 module Clinical Skills Refresher Programme, this course is for dental hygienists and therapists, and suitable for those returning to clinical practice after a career break. You can attend as many of the courses as you like, or if you book to attend all 5 dates you'll receive a discount of 10% off the total price.
The other modules in the Clinical Skills Refresher Programme are:
- Management of Periodontal Patient
- Hands-on Direct Restorations
- Modern Management of Advanced Caries in Children
- Local Anaesthetic Refresher and Anxiety Management
- Mode of study: Face to face
- Duration: , ( - )
- Location: Dental Academy, William Beatty Building, Hampshire Terrace, Portsmouth, PO1 2QG
- Start and end dates:
What you'll experience
On this short course you'll cover:
- the requirements of IR(ME)R
- selection criteria for radiography
- training in image analysis
- the requirements of quality assurance systems, medico-legal dental radiology, record keeping and clinical audit
- Development Outcomes: B, C, D
You'll be taught by Otto Sparrius, Dentist and Clinical Teaching Fellow at the University of Portsmouth Dental Academy.
This course is for dental hygienists and therapists.