Applied Languages MLang
MLang Applied Languages
Sorry, this course has closed to new applicants. We're not updating the course information on this page – it's for reference only.
This MLang Applied Languages integrated Master's degree course allows you to develop your foreign language abilities so you can apply your knowledge to a career in multilingual communication at home or abroad.
In 4 years, you’ll achieve Master's level skills in 2 languages, experience a year abroad in 2 countries and develop postgraduate specialisms in your chosen field.
You’ll be set to take on interesting roles in areas such as translation, interpreting and teaching, and be well placed to consider PhD research.
What you'll experience
On this integrated Master's degree course, you'll:
- Study 2 core languages from French, German or Spanish
- Combine our BA (Hons) Applied Languages degree course with a final Master’s year giving you postgraduate-level skills and knowledge
- Apply foreign languages to professional fields in areas such as translation, interpreting or communication teaching
- Put your language skills into practice in our Language Labs, where you’ll manipulate video, sound and text
- Study, teach or work abroad in 2 countries, immersing yourself in the languages you’re learning
- Use our Interpreter Training Suite, which is the best kit to develop your interpretation skills
- Study with members of the Centre of European and International Studies and Research (CEISR), one of the UK's largest research centres in the field of linguistics and the teaching of English as a foreign language
You can also:
- Enhance your degree with an internationally recognised qualification in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).
- Study a 3rd language from Arabic, British Sign Language, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, or Spanish
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job with your freshly developed language skills, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and use your skills.
You'll spend your 3rd year studying in 2 countries where your chosen languages are spoken. Our global links mean we have partnerships with universities across the world including:
- Universities of Malaga, Murcia, Alcala and Salamanca in Granada
- University of Santiago in Chile
- Universities of Lyon, Toulouse, Tours and Strasbourg in France
- University of Wuhan in China
- University of Modena in Italy
- Universities of Bremen, Flensburg, Marburg, and Erfurt in Germany
We also have partnerships with the British Senegalese Institute and development organisations in Dakar, which provide opportunities for work placements on your year abroad.
We’ll help you secure a work or study placement that fits your aspirations. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.
Careers and opportunities
You’ll emerge from this course as a master of your chosen languages, ready to take on roles across a range of fields in the public and private sector.
Students have gone on to secure exciting positions in areas such as:
- customer relations
- academic research
Whatever career you pursue, our Careers and Employability service will give support and advice for 5 years after you graduate.
Sorry, this course has closed to new applicants.