Educational Leadership and Management PgCert
PgCert Educational Leadership and Management
If you're currently working in an educational role and want to develop your leadership and management skills – and get a postgraduate qualification that'll help you fulfil your career ambitions – this course is for you.
On our PgCert Educational Leadership and Management course, you'll learn about leadership strategy, decision making in education, and human resource management. And whether you're a teacher, social and healthcare worker, police trainer, nurse or youth worker, you'll build on your previous skills, studies and experience and develop your expertise, theories and techniques to postgraduate level.
Once you graduate, you'll have developed the skills and knowledge to take on new responsibilities in educational leadership and management, and to seek out ambitious new roles.
You can study on campus or through distance learning, and full or part-time while you continue to work. If you're not already working in education, please take a look at our MA Education Studies course.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Learn the key themes in current research and professional practice, through a combination of lectures, seminars, group work and presentations
- Be taught be experts who bring their enthusiasm to the classroom, including a personal tutor who will guide you in your studies
- Apply what you learn in your current workplace, to ensure that your learning is meaningful and professionally relevant
- Stay connected to your lecturers through our online virtual learning environment
- Write a dissertation based on your chosen area of interest
- Have 24/7 access to our university library
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your leadership and management skills to work in the education industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
The course is ideal for teachers, educational trainers, lecturers and instructors across the educational sector, who aspire to senior leadership and management positions. Many graduates move on to senior management positions in educational organisations.
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. You might be able to do preparatory reading and submit a written paper in order to confirm your ability to study at postgraduate level
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Other applicants may be admitted and will undertake a programme of preparatory reading and submit a written paper in order to confirm ability to study at postgraduate level.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Tuition fees (2018 start)
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- Full time: £2,000
- Part time: £2,000
- Part time distance learning: £1,500
- Full time: £4,400
- Part time: £4,400
- Part time distance learning: £1,500
Additional course costs
These course-related costs aren’t included in the tuition fees. So you’ll need to budget for them when you plan your spending.
Our accommodation section shows your accommodation options and highlights how much it costs to live in Portsmouth.
You’ll study up to 6 units a year. You may have to read several recommended books or textbooks for each unit.
You can borrow most of these from the Library. If you buy these, they may cost up to £60 each.
We recommend that you budget £75 a year for photocopying, memory sticks, DVDs and CDs, printing charges, binding and specialist printing.
If your final year includes a major project, there could be cost for transport or accommodation related to your research activities. The amount will depend on the project you choose.
There may be travel costs for internships/placements. These will vary depending on the nature of internship/placements and can range from £50 - £1000.
What you'll study
Each unit on this course is worth a certain number of credits.
On this course, you'll study a total of 60 credits from two core units.
Core units include:
- Human Resource Management in Education
- Decision Making in Education
Changes to course content
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry and some optional units may not run every year. If a unit doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative unit.
As well as support by faculty teaching staff and your personal tutor, you can use the University’s Academic Skills Unit (ASK). ASK provides one-to-one support in areas such as:
- academic writing
- note taking
- time management
- critical thinking
- presentation skills
- working in groups
- revision, memory and exam techniques
Teaching on this course includes:
- group work
- student presentations
How you're assessed
Assessment is based on the submission of your written assignments.
Admissions terms and conditionsWhen you accept an offer to study with us, you also agree to our terms and conditions as well as the University’s policies, rules and regulations. You should read and consider these before you apply.
Apply for this course using our online application form.
If you're from outside of the UK, you can apply directly to us or you can get an agent to help with your application. Check your country page for details of agents in your region. To find out what to include in your application, head to the how to apply page of our international students section.