Understanding Crime and Criminal Behaviour Short course
Understanding Crime and Criminal Behaviour
If you want to become a probation officer – and you have at least a Level 5 Higher Education award but haven't covered the four knowledge entry requirements from the Professional Qualification in Probation (PQiP) – then this is the course for you.
On this Understanding Crime and Criminal Behaviour Knowledge Entry Module, you'll examine the sociological and psychological theories that help us understand criminality. You'll unpack the social construction of what we understand crime to be, and evaluate the extent of crime in society. You'll explore criminological explanations of gang related crime, and theoretical approaches to crimes of the poor and of the powerful.
You'll learn in your own time, at your own pace, and after successful completion of the four Knowledge Modules, you'll be entered into the University of Portsmouth Community Justice Learning Gateway Assessment Service (GAS) for verification of your achievements to the National Offender Management Service.
- Mode of study: Online through distance learning
- Duration: Flexible to suit you
- Start and end dates: Flexible to suit you
- Credits: 20 level 5 credits
What you'll experience
On this short course, you'll:
- experience learning in a cohort of students
- use written learning materials
- receive online peer and tutor support
- access e-books and journals
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through assignments that you submit online including two artefacts per module.
You will have access to:
- A unit coordinator to access support and guidance when you need it
- An interactive reading list, ensuring speedy delivery of reading material
- A growing library of relevant e-books and e-journals in criminology and community justice
- Free dispatch of books and offprints of journal articles when they're are not available online
- A students’ card for the duration of the course
- A transcript of studies and a University Certificate
You'll learn through our Virtual Learning environment, where you'll have access to all the materials you need and direct contact with tutors.
Registration is available at any point in the calendar year, to one or more modules, and you'll study to fit your own pace, and assignments submitted online when you want.
These course modules are provided for those who have a Level 5 or above Higher Education award, but haven't covered all four of the knowledge entry requirements demanded by the 15 month fast-track Professional Qualification in Probation (PQiP) programme.
How to book
Get in touch
Find out more about this course by contacting us below.