Understanding Trees, Property and Liability (Kew Royal Botanic Gardens) Short course
Understanding Trees Property and Liability
Trees can be aesthetically-pleasing and good for the environment - but they can also cause concern for property owners and surveyors. On this short course taking place at Kew Royal Botanic Gardens, you'll explore the conditions that give rise to tree problems, examine situations where tree damage occurs, and review case law relating to both their damage, and an owner's duty of care.
Most importantly, the course includes a tour of trees, looking at various species and the common problems they pose.
- Mode of study: Face to face
- Duration: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Start and end dates: To be announced
- Location: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
- Single bookings: £105
- Multirate (3 or more courses booked at same time): £90
- APC rate: £70
- Apprenticeship rate: £70
- Retired rate: £70
What you'll experience
On this short course you'll cover:
- Soil conditions and subsidence
- Circumstances in which tree related damage occurs
- BS 5837:2012 ‘Trees in relation to design, demolition and construction – recommendations’
- Liability and key cases: tree related damage; the owners duty of care
- Tour of trees covers identification, suitability for use in the built environment, and problems and the management of risk
Tony Kirkham is Head of Arboretum at Kew but is better known as the presenter of the BBC2 programmes A Year at Kew and The Trees that Made Britain. He holds the RHS award of Associate of Honour for services to horticulture.
Martin Dobson is the principal of Martin Dobson Associates. He deals with planning and TPO applications and appeals, subsidence investigations, tree surveys and tree hazard assessments together with providing an Expert Witness service.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
How to book
To receive the course multi-discount rate, please ensure you select the multi-discount option when you pay. See the courses available for multi-discount below.
To book onto and pay for this course online, please visit our online store.
Pay by invoice
Please note this method of payment is only available when no other means of payment is possible, due to the additional administration costs involved.
The following courses are eligible for the multirate discount when you book three or more courses at the same time:
- The CDM Regulations: An update
- Professional Liability
- Construction Law in 2018
- Leasehold Enfranchisement (leases and freeholds) - how to get it right
- Construction and Property Taxation
- Understanding the effects of Dampness and Decay in Buildings
- Accounting for Non Accountants
- Accounting - Valuation Issues
- Understanding Current Practice in Building Services
- Professional Ethics
- Waterproofing Below Ground Structures and Existing Basements
- Business Improvements for Organisations
- Party Walls, Health and Safety and other Legislation
- Looking for Asbestos
- Health and Safety - Managing the Changing Workplace
- Statistics for Non-Statisticians
- Construction Project Management
- Thermal Imaging Building Surveys
- The Planning System in 2019
- Housing Issues: Supply and Affordability
- Building Defects and Surveys
- Understanding Trees, Property and Liability
- Fort Nelson
- London King's Cross Revisited
- Apprenticeship CPD day