On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Scholarship Information for students from the Dominican Republic
In March 2014, the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology (MESCYT) signed a five year agreement with the University of Portsmouth to provide scholarships to students from the Dominican Republic at Masters level. As part of this agreement, a number of sponsored students will be eligible to enter courses at the University in the following areas:
- MSc Engineering Geology
- MSc Educational Leadership and Management
- MSc Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship
- MA Sustainable Cities
- MSc Computer Games Technology
- MSc Medical Biotechnology
- MSc Computer Network Administration and Management
- MSc Construction Project Management
- MSc Project Management
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
- A good Licenciatura (of at least 4 years) from a recognised higher education institution
- A degree discipline relevant to your proposed postgraduate study
- A minimum grade of 80 out of 100, 3 out of 5, or Muy Bueno/Very Good
- Certain courses may have other prerequisites, which can be found on our course webpages
For direct entry onto year 1 of an undergraduate programme, you will need one of the following:
- Successfully pass a recognised foundation programme
- SAT and APTs (SAT with a combined score of around 1100, plus minimum of 3 APs from Group A subjects with grades above 3)
- A levels and the International Baccalaureate are also accepted.
- Student with a Higher National Diploma (HND) or a Higher Diploma can be considered for advanced entry onto a subject-relevant undergraduate programme
You can apply to the University at any time and we will consider you for a Conditional Offer. We won't be able to confirm this offer until we receive confirmation from MESCYT that your scholarship has been formally approved. Once we receive this confirmation, we can change your offer to Unconditional and you'll then be able to apply for on-campus student housing for your study year.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English, which is why you will also need to meet our specified English language requirements:
|B2||6.0 with no component score less than 5.5||
79 with a minimum of: 18 in Reading, 17 in Listening, 20 in Speaking, 17 in Writing
54 points with a minimum of 51 in each component
|ISE Level III with a pass in all four components||
Score of 52 or above with a minimum of Borderline in each skill
An overall CAE score of 169 with no component score less than 162
with no component score less than 6.0
Don’t worry if you don’t yet meet the English language requirements – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Ready to start your adventure with us? Whether you know which degree course you want to do or not, get in touch with us now or meet us at an event near you to discuss your next steps.
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from the Dominican Republic, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from the Dominican Republic, you can apply for various scholarships and bursaries, including the International Alumni Referral Award, PassPort Bursary and Chevening Scholarship. You can find more information about these on our funding page.
Students from the Dominican Republic are automatically eligible to receive the PassPort Bursary, which gives privately-funded students a 10% tuition fee reduction for their first year of study at the University of Portsmouth. This reduction applies to all degree courses with fees of £13,200 and above for 2018 entry. You don't need to apply for the PassPort Bursary, as eligible applicants will be awarded automatically.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact our official representative in the Dominican Republic:
Av. Máximo Gómez No. 31
esq. Pedro Henríquez Ureña