If you’re from Iran and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.
On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from Iran
If you're joining us from Iran, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
If you take the High School Diploma (3 or 4 years), you'll usually need to do a foundation year before doing an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree.
We recommend you take a foundation course at our associated college International College Portsmouth (ICP).
If you have achieved good grades in the Iranian National University Entrance Examination (Pishdaneshgahe),Kunkour or Fogh-Diplom/Kardani, we'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree. You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
You can also apply with:
- Most courses will require 120 UCAS points. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points. Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
If you have a High National Diploma (HND) or Higher Diploma you can apply for advanced entry onto a relevant undergraduate programme.
APTECH students should contact us regarding advanced entry and course progression.
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have one of the following from a recognised Higher Education institution:
- a good Bachelor degree such as a Sarjana (S1) that is A accredited
- a good degree (Licence or Karshenasi) from a recognised university with a minimum GPA of 12
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.We accept IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Iran, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from Iran, you can apply for various scholarships and bursaries, including the International Alumni Referral Award. You can find more information about these on our funding page.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact one of our official representatives in Iran
Sanaz Dead End
Tel: (+98) 21-2676-9880
Tel: (+98) 21-2676-9774
PO Box 1511943967
Tel: (+98) 21 8865 2080
Fax: (+98) 21 8865 2238