sea shore in southsea

Financial support for disabled postgraduate students

If you have a disability, mental health issue or long-term illness, a Disabled Students’ Allowance can help cover your extra study costs

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

If your application for DSAs is successful, you can use the allowances to help with travel costs, to fund specialist equipment like a computer, or to pay for a non-medical helper to assist with your academic needs. DSAs don't cover costs unrelated to your study.

How much you receive

The amount you receive is based on your needs, not your income. The maximum allowance for full- and part-time postgraduate students is £20,000, to cover all aspects of any disability-related costs.

How to apply for DSAs

To apply for DSAs, you need to be a UK student studying a postgraduate degree (the allowance is also open to undergraduates). If you’re studying part-time, you'll need to be studying the equivalent of 25% of a full-time course, such as 30 credits a year on a typical postgraduate degree.

You can apply for DSAs as part of your application for student finance through Student Finance England. If you’re not applying for student finance, you can download an application form.

It can take up to 3 months to process your application and arrange for an assessment, so we recommend you apply as soon as possible.

Further help and support if you have a disability

You can also get help and support from our Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre (ASDAC). They can offer advice once you start university and help with your DSAs application.

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close