PhD scholarships for UK and EU students
PhD scholarships: what is included?
The scholarships include tuition fees and a stipend for 3 years. The stipend is in line with that offered by Research Councils UK of £14,777 per annum (2018/2019 rate).
How to apply
- Select a subject area from the list above where you will find potential project areas/projects and entry criteria.
- Get in touch with the named project supervisor; to speed up the process, forward them your CV and an outline of your research idea too.
- Apply online and make sure you submit all the required documentation before the application deadline, but please note: to be considered for one of the funded PhD opportunities you must quote the relevant project code in your application form.
The deadline for completed applications is Sunday 17 February 2019 (midnight).
If you’re an international student, please check our Portsmouth Global PhD Scholarship.
Search fully-funded PhDs by subject area
If you’re a UK or EU student applying for a full-time PhD programme starting in October 2019, you can apply for one of our fully-funded PhD scholarships in the following subject areas:
- Art, Design & Performance: Engaging Public Audiences (Open Call)
- Design Process & Epistemologies (Open Call)
- Art, Science, Technology and Public Engagement (Open Call)
- Performing & Visualising History: Building new connections with the Past (Open Call)
- The Asian date mussel: understanding a new and severe threat to Europe’s benthic habitats and blue economies
- Identification, validation and characterisation of i-motif promoter elements in vertebrate genomes
- Restoring degraded ecosystem: artificial reefs as carbon sink and habitat builders in leisure marinas
- Vessel collisions with large whales: Behavioural responses and areas of risk
- Enhancing the dynamics of plastic-degrading enzymes to improve their catalytic activity*
- Characterisation and engineering of novel and enhanced enzymes for the conversion of lignin biomass to high-value products*
- RNA Biodesign: Developing Molecular Switch Components for Enzyme Expression Systems*
- Condition specific engineering of P. putida for rhamnolipid production*
- Invertebrate-microbe interactions in the breakdown of the lignocellulose complex: implications for biotechnology, biodeterioration and biosphere function*
*Centre for Enzyme Innovation project
- Developing an innovative gastrointestinal model to assess the effects of antimicrobial agents on the gut microbiota: microbiology and molecular mechanisms to ensure long term healthy outcomes for patients receiving treatment
- Nasal Delivery of Peptide Nanofibers for Acute Ischaemic Stroke
- Strain Measurement in Osteoarthritic Cartilage (SMOC)
- Turning irresponsibility into responsibility - How communities can leverage collective memories of corporate irresponsibility to produce responsible actors
- Data-driven multi-criteria decision making with marketing applications
- Learning from failures in the health sector: Towards a high organisation reliability status
- Communicating complex risks through social media: The role of social influence on risk attenuation
- Mathematical Foundations of Topological Data Analysis; Theory & Applications
- Complex differential equations with algebraic singularities
- Modelling degradation processes in perovskite solar cells
- Gaining insight into the dynamics of drug-cancer cell interactions with the aid of continuous and hybrid multiscale models
- Data-driven spatial models of human societies
- Mathematics and Physics (Open Call)
- Characterization of the mechano-biology and definition of a clinically relevant failure criterion for soft tissues
- Analysis of Orthopaedic Implants: A Multi-scale Approach
- Developing a computational tool to predict the optimal location for arterio-venous fistula (AVF) creation in end stage renal failure and haemodialysis patients
- Numerical Modelling of Energy Storage Systems
- Modelling the Fluid-Structure Interaction of membranes with anisotropic material properties to provide performance improvements
- Mechanical and Design Engineering (Open Call)