Explore our projects
If you want to do a PhD, MPhil or MD with us and you haven't got your own research idea, you can apply to do one of our pre-approved research projects.
Once you've found a project you're interested in, you should contact one of the supervisors on the project to discuss your interest – you'll find the supervisor's contact details will be published on the individual project page.If you've got your own research idea and you've identified a subject area that fits your research, find a supervisor in our PURE Research Portal and contact them directly to discuss your idea.
- A pattern language of urban ecology: developing a pattern language of urban green landscapes
- Advance engineering analysis of chalk in construction
- Community-focused heritage regeneration: Developing a sustainable regeneration framework for historic industrial-military and associated residential heritage in southern England
- Incorporating water leakage reduction in the automatic creation of water supply zones
- International investment in land in sub-Saharan Africa and the impact on rural
- Mechanisms involved in sediment recycling in estuaries
- Predicting building performance in future climate change scenarios: a comparative study of actual and simulated data
- Soil reinforcement interaction mechanics
- The Combined Effect of Blast and Thermal Loading on Structural Connections
- Transparent soil modelling of soil-structure interaction under dynamic conditions
- Use of Iterative multi-parametric design enabling tools for the optimisation of structural response and seismic behaviour
- Using simulation to design comfortable housing for the poor in the low income tropics
There are currently no pre-approved projects available in this subject area. If you'd like to submit your own PhD proposal, please head to Area Studies, History and Politics for more information.
- The spread and persistence of antimicrobial resistance genes in aquatic environments
- Characterisation on a novel protease control switch: implications for inflammatory arthritis
- Pollination precision, phenotypic specialisation and species diversification in triggerplants: A critical evaluation of the Grant-Stebbins model of plant diversification
- The effects of neurological drugs (antidepressants) on aquatic wildlife
- The influence of environmental cues on the epigenome of the marine wood borer limnoria quadripunctata.
- The role of Gas6 as a mediator of repair in demyelinating disease of the CNS.
- The role of TAM receptors in brain tumour cell signalling and behaviour
- Mechanobiology of cardiac interstitial cells.
- Expression and roles of Tensin proteins in the mouse brain.
- Anti-Cancer Properties of Metformin and other Biguanides
- Synthesis, Formulation and Efficacy of Boron-containing Compounds for the Boron Neutron Capture Therapy of Cancer
- High-Throughput Discovery of Novel Antibiotics
- Design, Synthesis & Biochemical Evaluation of Isoflavone Derivatives with Enhanced Potential for Therapeutic Use
- Nanoparticles for Imaging and Drug Delivery Applications
- The role of membrane transport in microbial pathogenesis
- Developing Innovative strategies to treating life-threatening bacterial infections: molecular mechanisms to ensure long-term healthy outcomes from faecal transplants
- Mitochondrial biomarkers and drug development for personalised treatment of brain cancer
- Theoretical and Experimental Investigations of Drug Delivery via Zeolites
- Validation of potassium channels from pathogenic fungi as promising new targets for antifungal therapies
- Vitamin K as a novel therapeutic for multiple sclerosis
- Developing self-assembled peptide nanomaterials as targeted endocrine therapies for tumours
- Developing novel approaches to muscle disease – learning from embryonic muscle stem cells
- The integration of signalling cascades in synovial joints – a role for Dact genes?
- Genetic-proteomic Analyses of P2X7 Receptors in Health and Disease
- Assessing the Potential Value of Repurposing Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCAs) for Treating Breast-to-brain Metastases
- Investigating mitochondrial redox alterations as anti-cancer therapeutic targets
There are currently no pre-approved projects available in this subject area. If you'd like to submit your own PhD proposal, please head to Business and Management for more information.
- Challenges in Interactive Digital Museums and Long-term Legacy
- Emerging and Future Technologies for Visualisation (PhD in High Performance Visualisation)
- Emotion Detection from Social Media Text
- Exploring the impact of information standards and computerised health records upon inpatient medicines optimisation: Improving shared understanding for patients and practitioners
- Health Care Avatars - The Friendly Face of Medical Data
- iMoVE - Interactive Motion in Virtual Environments
- Software Design and Development as an Intrinsic Part of the Compositional Process (Music/Sound)Virtual Reality and Advanced Interactive Technologies for Health and Wellbeing
- Virtual Reality and Advanced Interactive Technologies for Health and Well-being
- Assessing and improving current landslide mapping and response capabilities, from academia to communities.
- Biogenic sedimentary structures in deep time: proxies for ecosystem processes, ecosystem functioning, and as palaeoenvironmental indicators
- Coupled fluid-fracture mechanics in the applied geosciences: A new laboratory method for measuring hydraulic fracture permeability at reservoir conditions.
- Development and Growth of a Neoproterozoic Active Plate Margin
- Effects of pharmaceuticals on marine and brackish water invertebrates
- Fast repetition rate fluorometry as an early warning system for algal blooms in rivers.
- Fibrous Zeolites in the Environment – Occurrence, Longevity and Risk to human health
- Granites from the Mantle – the xenolith perspective
- High-resolution palynology of the London clay formation, and calibration of near infrared (NIR) data
- New Accessory Mineral Records of Early Lunar Evolution
There are currently no pre-approved projects available in this subject area. If you'd like to submit your own PhD proposal, please head to English Literature for more information.
- Bioprotection or biodeteroriation? The contradictory role of microbiological activity in heritage stone decay under changing climates
- Capturing sugar-promoting environments and understanding the link with oral health outcomes
- Conservation of Cultural Heritage
- Gamification of Society
- Geoconservation of Rocky Coasts
- Global and Regional Temperature Change in Mountainous Regions
- Graduate Self-employment and Entrepreneurship in the Creative Economy
- Historical perspectives of human impacts on aquatic ecosystems
- How Can Economic Growth Become More Inclusive?
- Human impacts on benthic diatom communities in coastal waters of Southern England
- Improving Green Roof Sustainability with Soil Ecology
- Measuring and Modelling Surface Temperatures in Areas of Complex Relief
- Paleoclimate reconstructions during the last two millennia
- Past Wildfire Histories
- Responding to and managing refugees’ flows: Between carceral and informal geographies
- The geographies of labour and working lives
- The methodology of paleo-environmental reconstruction
- Understanding/shaping space and society through playful activities
- Urban Ecological Networks
- Implications of shock-absorbing floors on hospital patients and staff
- The influence of elimination-related environmental features on falls and injuries in older adults
- The bargaining of professionalism in Emergency Care Practice: the ‘academic shift’ of NHS Paramedics
- The voice of the child: listening to migrant children’s experiences of education, health and social care in the UK
There are currently no pre-approved projects available in this subject area. If you'd like to submit your own PhD proposal, please head to Languages and Applied Linguistics for more information.
There are currently no pre-approved projects available in this subject area. If you'd like to submit your own PhD proposal, please head to Law and Criminology for more information.