Funded PhD opportunities in Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation (open call for UK and EU students)
Funded PhD Project (UK and EU students only)
Institute of Cosmology & Gravitation
The Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation at the University of Portsmouth is one of the leading groups in research on cosmology and astrophysics in the UK and has leading researchers investigating a wide range of different topics including:
- Galaxy evolution
- Stellar population modelling
- Very early Universe
- Dark energy
- Testing gravity on cosmological scales
- Large-scale structure
- Gravitational lensing
- Gravitational Waves
Research at the Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation:
Discover more about our research areas on our web pages:
- As a general rule, you’ll need a good first degree from an internationally recognised university (depending upon chosen course, minimum upper second class or equivalent) or a Master’s degree in an appropriate subject.
- In exceptional cases, we may consider equivalent professional experience and/or Qualifications.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
How to apply
- Make sure that you meet our entry requirements.
- Discuss your own research idea and find out more about postgraduate programmes in the Portsmouth by contacting the Departmental Research Degrees Coordinator Professor Robert Crittenden.
- Apply online where you will need to make sure you submit a personal statement, proof of your degrees and grades, details of two referees, proof of your English language proficiency and an up-to-date CV.
Please note: If you want to be considered for this funded PhD opportunity you must quote project code MPHY4950119 when applying.
Eligibility and funding notes
Candidates applying for this project may be eligible to compete for one of a small number of bursaries that are available.
The bursaries are available to UK and EU students only and cover tuition fees for 3 years and an annual maintenance grant of £14,777 (2018/19 rate). The Faculty of Technology may fund project costs/consumables up to £1,500 p.a.
Informal enquiries are encouraged and can be made to the research lead mentioned above.
For administrative and admissions enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org