Funded PhD opportunities in Mechanical and Design Engineering (open call for UK and EU students)
Funded PhD Project (UK and EU students only)
School of Mechanical and Design Engineering
Our researchers tackle some of the planet's most urgent challenges. We want to help shape the future and know it takes more than words to make a difference.
That's exactly what our collaborative, interdisciplinary research aims to do – and why we’re investing in a number of fully-funded PhD bursaries that support our commitment to delivering innovative research with impact.
Research at the School of Mechanical and Design Engineering
Discover more about our research areas on our webpages.
- As a general rule, you’ll need a good first degree from an internationally recognised university (depending upon chosen course, minimum upper second class or equivalent) or a Master’s degree in an appropriate subject.
- In exceptional cases, we may consider equivalent professional experience and/or Qualifications.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
How to apply
- Make sure that you meet our entry requirements.
- Discuss your own research idea and find out more about postgraduate programmes in the School of Mechanical and Design Engineering by contacting the research lead names listed above or the School Research Degrees Coordinator Dr Andrea Bucchi. A university supervisor needs to support any bursary application so it is important you make informal contact before you apply to discuss the suitability of your proposal.
- Write up a short research proposal (up to 1500 words), providing the background to the proposed research, and an outline of your proposed studies and research methodology. The proposed research should relate to one of the above research areas. It is essential to contact potential supervisors for your research before submitting your application so that you can explore and develop your research ideas with them.
- Apply online where you will need to make sure you submit your research proposal, a personal statement, proof of your degrees and grades, details of two referees, proof of your English language proficiency and an up-to-date CV.
Please note: If you want to be considered for this funded PhD opportunity you must quote project code ENGN4870219 when applying.
Eligibility and funding notes
Candidates applying for this project may be eligible to compete for one of a small number of bursaries that are available.
The bursaries are available to UK and EU students only and cover tuition fees for 3 years and an annual maintenance grant of £14,777 (2018/19 rate). The Faculty of Technology may fund project costs/consumables up to £1,500 p.a.
Informal enquiries are encouraged and can be made to the research leads mentioned above.
For administrative and admissions enquiries please contact SMDE-PhDbursary@port.ac.uk