The Athletic Skill Model (ASM) Instructor Course is a 3-day course that provides coaches, sports practitioners and PE teachers with a framework to think about skilful movement across the lifespan, encompassing elite sport and developmental perspectives.
The scientific evidence underpinning ASM highlights how optimal performance, development and improved health and well-being can be achieved via a holistic multi-skills approach. The ASM applies scientific evidence in a practical manner, drawing on extensive applied experience and expertise. Check additional information for more details about taught content.
Whether you're an academic, a student, a coach, PE teacher or parent, we invite you to join us for three action-packed days full of dissemination, discussion, and learning opportunities.
- Mode of study: Face to face
- Friday: 3 hours, (7.00pm - 10.00pm)
- Saturday: 4 hours, (10.00am - 2.00pm or 3.00pm - 7.00pm)
- Sunday: 4 hours, (10.00am - 2.00pm)
- Location: to be confirmed
- Start and end dates: Friday 25 October - Sunday 27 October 2019
- £575 (standard cost)
- £225 (for University of Portsmouth students)
- £325 (For students enrolled in any other university)
- £475 (For those that have attended the ASM opening event early this year)
What you'll experience
- Discover the theoretical framework underpinning the Athletic Skills Model (ASM) as a new and innovative framework for talent development based on a concentric-skills approach
- Discuss the benefits of the concentric-skills approach including the concepts of multi and donor-sports
- Identify donor-sports to your target main sport as a means to increase motor creativity
- Learn how to apply the concentric-skills approach during practical sessions
- Create a structured yet diversified training program for athlete development
- Evaluate key features of motor skill development and coordination through the MQ-Scan measurement tool.
You'll be taught by University of Portsmouth staff Dr Martina Navarro and Dr Matt Dicks, and ASM specialist staff.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
Get in touch
Find out more about this course by contacting us below.