Covid information for students

Female UoP student wearing a mask

How We're keeping student life fun, safe and rewarding 

Plus find out how to get started on your course if you're a new or returning student

Life as a uni student in 2020/21 will be a little different. Before you arrive, read our guidance on what's changed at the University, and what to expect once you get here:

Frequently Asked Questions

There are two testing sites on campus, one for students without symptoms at Milldam courtyard and one for students with symptoms at Eldon car park to help track coronavirus cases. Read Coronavirus Testing for Students for details of the free tests.

If you need to self isolate because you’ve tested positive for coronavirus, have coronavirus symptoms, have been contacted through NHS Test and Trace, or have to quarantine after travelling to the UK, we can support you. We can offer you a free 3 day food parcel and advice on ordering in supplies. Read more about self-isolation support for students

All your support services are up and running, with a mixture of virtual and in-person access. To find out more contact the following:


Safety measures include hand sanitiser stations, temperature scanning, one-way systems, enhanced cleaning, protective screens, staggered teaching start times, and two Covid-19 testing sites. We’re also working closely with our local NHS, council, police and other partners to keep everyone as safe as possible on campus and in the city.

Face coverings are required in University buildings unless you're medically exempt. All students should also wash their hands regularly and stay socially distanced to 2m where possible. We need everyone to play their part to reduce infections and keep the campus and city open.

If you're medically exempt you may choose to use an exemption card or badge (like these Government templates) or even a home-made sign to show you do not need to wear a face covering. This is a personal choice and is not necessary in law.

We are here to support you to ensure that you are safe and following the necessary government guidelines banning social gatherings of more than six people. Police have the powers to issue fines which will increase from £200 for a first offence, up to a maximum of £6,400 for further breaches. Anyone who organises or facilitates unlawful gatherings could also be fined £10,000.

If a student breaks the law on social gatherings - in fact any law - they could be suspended with immediate effect pending a misconduct hearing as part of our Code of Student Behaviour, with penalties ranging from a reprimand to permanent exclusion.

If you’re concerned about a social gathering or other disturbance, you should first report a breach of COVID regulations on the Hampshire Police website or by calling 101. (Please do not use 999 except for emergencies).

Complaints about student neighbours can be made to the University’s Student and Neighbour Liaison Service which can be contacted on 023 9284 3214 or on

You can report a noise disturbance via the city council website or by calling 023 9283 4092 (9.00am - 4.00pm)

Under current government rules you're allowed to travel within the UK, as long as you are not self-isolating. There are also some extra restrictions in certain areas with local lockdowns, and other countries may have different requirements. Please check the UK government website, and your country’s government website for the latest advice.

If you’re having issues with accommodation please contact the Student Housing team on 023 92 84 3214 or

When you have registered and submitted your photo for your student card at you’ll be able to pick up your card at MyPort Information Hub Nuffield (St Michael's Road, PO1 2ED). You can collect your card anytime Monday to Friday between 10.00am and 4.00pm.

Due to the measures being taken to protect staff and students, there isn’t a facility to have your photo taken on campus.

If you need a letter, make sure you’ve completed your registration process and then you can request a standard letter via your Student View.

If you need a railcard application signed, you can visit a MyPort Hub.


You will receive an email from the Registration Team asking you to complete a form for your ID check. If you don’t have this, home students please contact and international students

BRP identity cards are different to University student cards, and are given to international students who have been granted a visa to be in the UK for 6 months or more.

BRP cards will be posted to your term time address once you have completed your registration and ID check. 

This is a change to the usual process due to Covid19. You may have received a letter from the Home Office asking you to collect your BRP card from the Nuffield Centre. Please note that there are no BRP cards being delivered to the University. 

You will receive your card directly in the post, approximately 10 working days after you have completed your Registration and ID check. If you have questions about registration please email or contact with any questions.

University Coronavirus Information Line

If you have an enquiry related to covid, please first read through our 'coronavirus information for students' pages. If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, get in touch with us on our Coronavirus Information Line.

Please note, this team cannot provide you with a coronavirus test appointment – instead read the information on coronavirus testing for students.


Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 5588

The phone line is open: Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm, Friday 8.30am - 4.00pm and Saturday and Sunday 10.00am - 4.00pm.

Changes in 2020/21

Getting started on your course

Study and student life in 2020/21 video

Getting ready for study

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close