Dr Stephen Crabbe
I started teaching at the University of Portsmouth in September 2007. I have an AHRC-funded PhD in Applied Linguistics and am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I teach both classroom based and distance learning students.
- Business Communication
- Technical Communication
- Communication in Professional Contexts
- Improving your Academic English for Dissertation and Final Report Writing
- Language for Scientific Report Writing
- Developing Effective Paragraphs for Communicating Your Ideas Clearly
- Translation Technologies (corpus/glossary building and pre- and post-editing of machine translation)
- Dissertation supervision
My main research interests are in:
- Tattoos (particularly tattooing in Japan and Japanese style tattoos outside of Japan)
- Technical communication (both modern and historical)
I am interested in supervising PhD students in any of these areas.
I have written a book Controlling Language in Industry: Controlled Languages for Technical Documents (Palgrave Macmillan) and edited a book Current Practices and Trends in Technical and Professional Communication (ISTC Books).
I collaborate regularly with researchers in Japan, particularly from Kanto Gakuin University (関東学院大学).