Dr Jodie Coulston
I am a Senior Lecturer in Forensic Studies at the University of Portsmouth and my expertise involves fingermark development and the use of microscopy and analytical methodologies to understand the visualisation of fingermarks. I completed my PhD research at the University of Leicester, which was jointly supported by the Home Office Centre for Applied Science and Technology (now Dstl). My thesis incorporated the use of analytical and chemical methodology to decipher the underlying chemistry behind the current technique - Physical Developer (PD). The success of this research was evident in the optimisation of PD, which I am researching further as part of a collaborative project.
I graduated from the University of Leicester in 2014, with a MChem degree (1st) in Chemistry with Forensic Science, before going on to complete a PhD in Forensic Chemistry in collaboration with the Home Office at the University of Leicester.
As part of my MChem research, I completed an outreach project, which involved engagement with police forces and forensic laboratories nationally and internationally.
I taught chemistry at the International Study Centre in Leicester, designing and delivering the chemistry programme for students at foundation level where English was not their first language.
In 2017, I administrated the 'Identification Network' which included hosting a collaborative conference with academic, industry and government institutions.
I am now a Senior Lecturer in Forensic Studies at the University of Portsmouth.
My research interests include
- Fingermark visualisation - development (on various surfaces) and understanding of current and novel techniques
- Chemistry of fingerprints
- Microscopic analysis of fingermarks
- The use of analytical methods to understand fingermark visualisation methods
- How to determine the numerical quality of a fingermark
I am the module coordinator of Forensic Evidence Interpretation and I teach across the following undergraduate modules:
- Essential Skills for Criminologists
- Researching Criminology
- Crime Scene and Forensic Investigation
- Forensic Evidence Analysis
- Forensic Evidence Interpretation
- Fundamentals of Forensic Investigation
- The Future of Forensic Investigations
I also teach on the postgraduate Applied Forensic Science module and am responsible for the supervision of dissertation students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level including DL students.