Dr Peter Cruddas
Qualifications: BEng (Hons) LCGI MSc PhD GMICE
Role Title: Senior Lecturer in Water and Environmental Engineering with a focus on Water and Wastewater Engineering
Address: Portland Building, Portland Street, Portsmouth PO1 3AH, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 2901
Department: School of Civil Engineering and Surveying
Faulty: Faculty of Technology
I completed my BEng (Hons) degree in Civil and Structural Engineering at the University of Bradford, and my MSc in Water Management (Community Water Supply) at Cranfield University. After two years working in industry, I returned to Cranfield University to complete my PhD titled 'Anaerobic ponds for domestic wastewater treatment in temperate climates'.
I continued at Cranfield at a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow for three years, before taking a role as Lecturer in Water and Environmental Engineering at the Botswana International University of Science and Technology.
In July 2019 I returned to the UK to take up my current appointment as Senior Lecturer in Water and Environmental Engineering and the University of Portsmouth.
My current research activity focuses on resource recovery - water, energy, and minerals - from wastewater streams, including with the EC Interreg project NEREUS.
I am also interested in technology implementation for improved WASH access in developing countries, and how that technology interacts with the social and economic issues present in the sector.
An emerging research interest is the treatment and remediation of pollution of coastal cities, particularly at present the issue of Nitrates in Portsmouth Harbour and the Solent.
Previous research activity involved work for major UK water companies and consultancies, and for the development sector in energy recovery from latrine wastes and solid waste streams in developing countries. Whilst at Cranfield University, I was a Work Package leader within the European Commission FP7 project Water4India, and contributor to the Nanomembrane Toilet, a Phase 2 Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation project.
Specialties: WASH, wastewater engineering/treatment, sustainable development, civil engineering
Primary Research Areas
- Resource recovery from wastewater treatment and faecal sludge management
- Water and wastewater in the context of Circular Economy and the Water-Energy-Food Nexus
- Water efficiency measures
- Assessment and development of novel wastewater and sludge management systems for Botswana
- Wastewater treatment technologies to minimise resource requirements and maximise resource recovery
I currently teach on the following modules:
- Water and Environmental Engineering (BEng and IEng year 1)
- Professional Development 2 (BEng and IEng year 2)
- Water Infrastructure (BEng year 3)
- Environmental Management (MEng year 4)
- Supervision of BEng and MEng individual research projects