Skip to content
- 2013 - Professor of Geology, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Portsmouth.
- 2007-2017, Head of School, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Portsmouth.
- 2003-2013 Reader, School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Portsmouth.
- 1982-2003 Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Principal Lecturer/Reader, Department of Geology, Oxford Polytechnic/Oxford Brookes University.
- 1978-1982 University of Keele, Staffordshire (graduated PhD; thesis title: “Geology of the Moine rocks of the Loch Eil area, West Inverness-shire”).
- 1975-1978 University College of Wales, Aberystwyth (graduated BSc Hons in Geology, Upper Second Class).
- The nature of orogenic processes within the middle to lower continental crust.
- Mechanisms of granite emplacement in different structural settings.
- The application of geochronological techniques to date deformational and metamorphic events during orogeny.
- The evolution and reactivation history of major continental fault zones.
- The syn- to post-orogenic erosional history of mountain belts.