Recruit student volunteers
Advertise your volunteering roles to our skilled and flexible students and graduates
Would your organisation benefit from the skills and knowledge our students gain whilst at university?
In 2018/2019, over 2,600 students and graduates of the University of Portsmouth took on volunteering roles in the local community and on campus. They found their roles through the Careers and Employability Service's Volunteering Team, the Sports and Recreation Department, the Students' Union and through work-based learning modules on their courses. Our social work students have supported local families through home-visits, our law students have given restorative support through local mediation services and our computer science students have delivered free coding sessions to local primary school children. Students also did volunteer roles in areas including marketing, website design, event management, finance, criminology and adult social care.
Find out how students and graduates can benefit your organisation with their knowledge and skills. Contact our Volunteering Team to raise awareness of your organisation and the volunteering opportunities you offer.
Benefits of recruiting a student volunteer
When you advertise a volunteering opportunity with us, you'll advertise to over 20,000 students studying over 400 disciplines. When you recruit a volunteer through us, you'll recruit volunteers who are:
- Specialised in their chosen area with an academic understanding of their chosen subject
- Culturally diverse – Portsmouth is home to over 4,000 international and EU students from around 150 countries
- Innovative and able to bring a new perspective to your organisation and generate creative solutions
- Informed and passionate about ethical practice, social justice issues, respect, sustainability and the community
- Flexible – they can volunteer in a range of environments while being aware, adaptable and realistic in expectations
- Eager to learn and looking for opportunities to apply their academic knowledge and develop their employability
- Intellectually curious and up-to-date with latest technologies and skills
Recruiting student and graduate volunteers
If you represent a charity or not-for-profit, our Volunteering Team can help you promote voluntary roles that require regular commitment. We can promote your opportunities to students across the University, to a selection of students studying relevant degrees and to graduates who've completed their studies within the last five years.
Advertising volunteering opportunities
We'll advertise your volunteering opportunities for free in the following ways:
- on MyCareer, our online jobs board
- in our paper-based volunteering bank
- via social media
- through outreach on campus
- by including your advertised roles in subject-specific talks to students in relevant departments
Annual Volunteering Fair
You can advertise volunteering vacancies to hundreds of students and graduates by exhibiting at our annual Volunteering Fair. It takes place every October, with space for 45 organisations to attend.
Contact our Volunteering Team at email@example.com to book your spot at our next fair
Volunteer recruitment support
We can support you during the volunteer recruitment process by meeting with you to:
- discuss your volunteer requirements in detail
- outline the services we can provide for you
We'll help you create tailored role descriptions, advertise your opportunities across the University and raise awareness of your organisation on campus. We'll review applications in the initial recruitment stages and send approved applications to you. We'll also give you support for short-term placement applications and guidance around the recruitment of students on Student Route or Tier 4 visas.
Each year we review with our partners to see how things have gone, what support they need for the next academic year and answer any queries they may have.
Third sector organisations we've supported include:
- the NHS
- local schools
- the police and prison service
- community groups
- social enterprises
Find out more
To make sure you get the best experience when recruiting our students and graduates as volunteers, we have some requirements:
- You need to be a registered not for profit such as a charity, social enterprise, community interest company (CIC), community group, local authority, school or part of the NHS
- You're looking to recruit for long-term opportunities which enable students and graduates develop their employability skills
- We expect you to have volunteer induction and training in place for new volunteers
- We need a point of contact responsible for volunteer support
- Ideally, your opportunity needs to be local to Portsmouth and surrounding areas – we do have opportunities in nearby areas including Winchester, Petersfield and Southampton but we assess this on a case by case basis
- We expect volunteers to be reimbursed for travel expenses where possible
- Currently, we only promote UK based volunteering and do not advertise for overseas opportunities
- You'll need to complete an insurance and health and safety checklists, and we might visit your organisation on location
Please note, we don't advertise for private profitable companies due to NMW legislation.
Other ways to join our community
Advertise part-time or seasonal jobs
Many of our students work part-time alongside their degrees, where they can put their learning into practice.
Recruit our graduates
Our graduates have the skills, knowledge and confidence to succeed in industry, and we can help you recruit them.
Offering a work placement
Looking for fresh ideas and boundless enthusiasm? Hiring a placement student can help your business secure both.