Specialist eye appointments for children and adults with additional needs
As part of the University’s Vision for 2030, we’ve built an accessible hub for specialist eye care within our community.
We can provide a calm, quiet and non-bustling environment where special adjustments have been considered to enable access to high quality eye care for those with complex needs.
We’re partnered with Portsmouth Down Syndrome Association but we can also offer specialist eye care for children with learning difficulties, autism or cerebral palsy and adults with brain tumours, who all require more time and highly specialised equipment and skills.
We can offer:
- A familiarisation visit before your test, helping you feel more comfortable
- Pre appointment phone calls with the optometrist to discuss your appointment and decide on appropriate adjustments required
- The use of SeeAbility pre test information, to prepare patients for their visit.
- Personalised appointment lengths to suit your needs, with plenty of time for each patient (including breaks to allow for concentration relief)
- Non-verbal eye testing, through picture and letter charts (illiterate e-tests, Kay cards, Cardiff acuity tests, Hiding Heidi to name a few)
- Testing rooms with stickers and bubble machines, to help create a friendly calming environment
- Adjusted testing techniques to make the experience fun and calming
Eye appointment costs
Our eye appointments are £40 for the public and free for those eligible for NHS eye examinations
Accessing the clinic
Our facilities are fully accessible from the street, at the front of the Student Union building, and on street (paid) parking is available in the adjoining roads.
Blue Badge holders can park in these spaces for free when the badge is displayed. The closest parking space to the clinic is outside the Co-op on Cambridge road (30 seconds to the eye clinic door). 3 hour free parking available on the streets in the area around St Pauls Road (5 minute walk from the clinic).
We also hope our specialist eye care facilities will enable further studies of eye conditions to help improve the lives of others.
Contact us or book an appointment
If you have any questions or concerns about your eye care, or would like to book an appointment, you can contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone on +44 (0)23 9284 6888. You can also book an appointment online.
Already have an account? Log in here.