Pathways into Accounting Mentor Programme
Tailored support to optimise your career prospects
Aim of the scheme
Transitioning into the working world can be challenging, and you sometimes need tailored support and career guidance from role models who have experienced the same journey.
Our Pathways into Accounting mentoring programme has been designed to help your career development by matching you with experienced alumni mentors who have shared the same start to their career journey. Mentors offer current students personalised support to ease the transition from graduate to professional with three one-on-one virtual meetings. Alumni offer key advice, industry insights and job support, and help to boost their mentee's confidence ahead of entering the world of work.
How can mentors help you?
You'll be matched with a mentor who can help guide your development, and have objectives focused on your needs and goals.
- Transition tips — Explore the key skills you may need as to transition from graduate to professional. What can you do to get ahead of the curve and hit the ground running?
- Career advice — Benefit from CV advice, how to approach assessment centres, where to find jobs in a range of sectors, how to stand out on interview and applying for graduate job schemes.
- Industry insights — Hear graduates share their own career experiences and journeys, current trends, and what it takes to succeed in specific industries and companies.
- Friendly mentors — Work with approachable mentors and ask questions in an informal 1-to-1 setting.
- Networking opportunities — Expand your professional network and learning how to network in-person and digitally.
Who are the mentors?
All mentors are accounting alumni who have experienced the same journey as you in the Business School, and who are now embedded in the working world. Mentors want to give back and are volunteering to help students at a crucial time in their development.
Mentors are ideally placed to offer guidance based on their experience and expertise, and can provide insights into a broad range of industries with participating alumni from companies such as: Deloitte, Barclays, AstraZeneca and Stifel Financial Corporation.
Register for the programme
Applications for the 2023/24 programme are open between September 2023 - October 2023.
The programme runs from November 2022 - April 2023 with three virtual meetings focused on the needs of the individual student.
Current University of Portsmouth Accounting students (all levels) are eligible to apply although spaces are limited.
If you are interested, you should contact your personal tutor for more information on what the scheme involves and how to enrol. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.