Building Defects and Surveys (pm) Short course
Building Defects and Surveys (pm)
Please note that this event has been postponed and will NOT take place on the advertised date.
If you've already booked to attend this course, please refer to the email that you should've received from firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The University of Portsmouth has its own detached property, a former Caretakers ‘Lodge’ that has been turned into a laboratory for the study of building surveys.
On this Building Defects and Surveys short course, you'll get hands-on, with practical exercises that will then be reviewed against the known case history of the building. This will be followed by an explanation of how more advanced surveying techniques might be used by the practicing building surveyor.
Because of the capacity of the Lodge, places on this course are limited to 10.
- Mode of study: Face to face
- Start and end dates:
- Location: University of Portsmouth, Eco Lodge PO1 3FX
- Single bookings: £105
- Multirate (3 or more courses booked at same time): £90
- APC rate: £70
- Apprenticeship rate: £70
- Retired rate: £70
What you'll experience
On this short course you'll cover:
- practical workshop activities
- residential survey reporting
- defect diagnosis
- schedule of condition
- use of equipment
- thermal imaging
You'll be taught by:
Stephen Neale, a Chartered Building Surveyor responsible for construction technology subjects at the University of Portsmouth. He previously ran his own Building Surveying consultancy specialising in defect diagnosis and commercial energy assessment.
Ray Faulkner, the managing director of iRed Ltd a company set up in 2002. iRed specialises in the use of thermography and other advanced surveying techniques.
Bruce Arnold CEng, FIMechE, MCIBSE is a thermographer and a senior trainer at iRed. He is a chartered engineer, and served in the Royal Navy for many years, Bruce now conducts thermographic building surveys on behalf of iRed specialising in BREEAM and investigative projects.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
How to book
To receive the course multi-discount rate, please ensure you select the multi-discount option when you pay. See the courses available for multi-discount below.
To book onto and pay for this course online, please visit our online store.
Pay by invoice
Please note this method of payment is only available when no other means of payment is possible, due to the additional administration costs involved.
The following courses are eligible for the multirate discount when you book three or more courses at the same time:
- Accounting for Non-accountants
- Aerial Visual and Thermographic Applications
- Building defects and surveys (am)
- Building Defects and Surveys (pm)
- Building Regulations: An Update for Surveyors, Engineers and Architects
- Bursledon Brickworks: A History of Bricks
- Business Improvements for Organisations
- Commercial Property Taxation
- Construction Law: An Update
- Covenants and Easement: Legal and Property Issues
- Dilapidations: Law and Practice
- Effective Communication Skills
- Fire: Prevention, Design and Safety management
- Health and Safety Management: An Update
- History, Care and Repair of Timber Framed Structures
- HMS Victory: Surveying, Procurement and Restoration (am)
- HMS Victory: surveying procurement and restoration (pm)
- Introduction to Project Management
- Large Scale Urban Property Regeneration in London
- Making Sense of Commercial Contracts
- Managing Asbestos Risk
- Managing Wellbeing and Mental Health in the Workplace
- Minimum Energy Efficient Standards MEES The Impact on Property Valuation
- Party Walls: Construction, Law and Safety
- Professional Liability: An Update
- Promoting your Business through Social Media
- Property Valuation and Investment: Price, Value and Worth
- Residential surveys valuations and reports
- Residential Update Context Supply and Affordability
- Subsidence and Settlement: Surveying and Engineering Issues
- The Planning System in 2020
- Understanding the Effects of Dampness and Decay in Buildings
- Understanding Trees: Legal and Surveying Issues
- Valuation: Bank Lending
- Waste Water Purification Drainage and Disposal (am)
- Waste Water Purification Drainage and Disposal (pm)
- Waterproofing Below-ground Structures and Basements
- Working at Height
Get in touch
Find out more about this course by contacting us below.