Effective leadership in education means knowing how best to engage and motivate your team. If you're looking to develop your skills in management and motivation for a new or prospective senior leadership position in a school, college or university, this short course is for you.
You'll spend two and a half days exploring what goes into creating a motivated workforce as a senior leader in an educational setting, from the theoretical constructs to developing your own motivational techniques. You'll also focus on other key areas of your senior role, including educational leadership and management, organisation, HR and policy.
You'll be taught by educational specialists from our Centre for Continuing Professional Development, who bring experience as teachers and managers, as well as published works relating to standards and quality.
After the course, you'll have the tools to lead with enthusiasm, positivity and confidence, ready to empower your team to achieve your institution's organisational aims and objectives.
- A motivated workforce – Challenges and opportunities
- Leadership styles
- Getting recruitment right
- Successful implementation of coaching and mentoring
- Approaches to change management
This course is delivered by our Centre for Continuing Professional Development (CCPD).
The Centre offers specialist subject and English language study for those interested in career development opportunities in the UK.
CCPD's courses are designed to develop professional skills and enable career opportunities. All courses are fully supported by our dedicated CCPD team and led by experts in their fields.
- Mode of study: On campus
- Duration: 2.5 days
- Start date: March 2024, March 2025
- £350, including one night's accommodation in a University hall of residence
What you'll experience
On this short course, you'll:
- develop the skills, knowledge and attributes you need to inspire motivation as a leader within your institution
- be able to use what you learn to encourage and support your team to achieve their best
- take part in face-to-face workshops, and use reflective learning and online resources
- ensure you're prepared for your senior role by also focusing on educational leadership, organisation and policy
- gain valuable transferable skills including organisation, policy planning and HR knowledge
- stay overnight at a University hall of residence (included in the price of the course). You'll be expected to arrange your own accommodation for additional nights if required. We can make suggestions based on local knowledge.
An honours degree, or equivalent, in a relevant subject or a master's degree in an appropriate subject. Exceptionally, equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications will be considered.
Applicants must be recently (circa 3 years) promoted to a leadership or senior management position in an education institution.
English language requirements
English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.