Explore the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Explore the worlds of education, criminology, languages, history, sociology, English and politics
The best way to experience Portsmouth is in person – but if you can't make a trip to see us for an Open Day, this Virtual Experience is here to capture some of the character of our city, and to give you a taste of what life is like as a student in our Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Ready to start exploring?
Use the links below to jump to different sections of the page.
Welcome to the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Explore the Faculty
Find out more about the teaching and research activities taking place across the Faculty's four schools and institutes at the University of Portsmouth.
Abbi Mullan - BA (Hons) English Language
BA (Hons) English Language
Ndanu Brown - BSc (Hons) Criminology and Forensic Studies
BSc (Hons) Criminology and Forensic Studies
Beth Thomas - MRes Childhood Studies
MRes Childhood Studies
Livia Fierro – BA (Hons) International Development Studies
BA (Hons) International Development Studies
Our students' and academics' work
We're incredibly proud of our students and academics. Discover some of their stories of how they put their study and research into practice.
- Dr Anna Bull, Senior Lecturer in Sociology, won a national book prize for her sociological study of classical music
- Counter fraud Research Associate Shakiba Moghadam talks about her appearance on SAS: Who Dares Wins
- Our Associate Dean, Dr Jane Creaton, received national recognition for excellence in teaching and learning
- Professor Mark Button warns of the risk of cybercrime and other fraud in the approaching coronavirus-related recession
- Darkfest, our community celebration of the dark, sinister and supernatural, listed for an arts award
- Dr Christine Berberich, Reader in Literature, recommends five novels with a real sense of place, to let you explore the world from your home
- Dr Emma Maynard, Senior Lecturer in Childhood Studies, explains a new model for working with complex families
The lecturers' enthusiasm for their areas of expertise is infectious, and ensures that they create a comfortable environment where each voice and idea can be heard and recognised.
Childhood, youth studies and education courses
Want a rewarding career shaping how children and young people learn and develop? Choose one of our childhood, youth studies and education courses.
Criminology and Forensic Studies Courses
Find out about studying a Criminology degree at one of the largest criminology departments in the country.
English and creative writing
Writing has the power to transport readers and listeners to an entirely different time and place. Tailor your studies to suit your goals, and graduate with the knowledge and skills find your dream career.
History, Politics and International Relations
Get the skills, knowledge and opportunities to develop a deep understanding of human behaviour, culture and society, and how they interact.
Develop an in-demand skill set, and get a deeper insight into the culture, history and politics of another country, with a Languages degree. Find out more now.