Dr Athanasios Paraskelidis
I am a Senior Lecturer, Deputy Admissions Tutor for Undegraduate degrees, and a member of the Pervasive Computing Research Group at the School of Computing, University of Portsmouth.
My main area for teaching and research are Computer Networks. I'm looking at the Quality of Service aspect of both wired and wireless communications in small to medium sized networks.
At the same time I have been participating to two industry led projects on Augmented Reality and its use in Civil Engineering and Engineering training.
I joined the School of Computing at the University of Portsmouth on September 2012. Before that I spent two years as a Senior Lecturer for the School of Technology at St Patrick's College, London.
I am a Senior Lecturer in Computer Science with expertise on Computer Communication.
I am also the deputy Admissions Tutor for the school's undergraduate courses. I am reviewing applications from home or international candidates and co-organising our department's Open Day events.
On June 2018 I was appointed as External Examiner for the BSc Computer Networks degree awarded by the Majan University College, Oman, in collaboration with the University of Bedfordshire.
I have been cooperating with the Hampshire County Council Scientific Services on a project that enabled asbestos surveyors to use Augmented Reality based tool to assist them with data management.
I am the principal investigator for a feasibility study that enables engineering apprentices to access Augmented Reality based learning, support and assessment activities. The project is in collaboration with PETA Ltd, GTA England and Ideas4Learning Ltd. The project is funded by UFI charitable trust.
I am member of the Athena SWAN team and have participated to the self-assessment team for the School of Computing Bronze award submission.
- The development of a modulo channel assignment algorith for multi-channel IEEE802.11 networks utilised in industrial environments. In collaboration with the Joint European Torus (JET) team part of the European Fusion Development Agreement (EFDA). - PhD thesis
Acting as Co-Investigator:
- Future Technologies for Construction and Asset Information Management
- In collaboration with the School of Civil Engineering and Surveying (SCES)
- Internally funded by the University of Portsmouth - total budget of £24,000
Acting as Principal Investigator:
- Integrating Augmented Reality into Asbestos Surveying
- In collaboration with Hampshire Scientific Services, Hampshire County Council
Acting as Principal Investigator on behalf of the University of Portsmouth.
- The Engineering Apprentice's Mate
- In collaboration with PETA Ltd, GTA England and Ideas4Learning Ltd.
- Funderd by UFI charitable trust - total budget of £67,535
Acting as First Supervisor:
- The design and implementation of algorithms that improve the Quality of Service in large scale Data Centres
- PhD thesis
I teach on a variety of Computer Systems Architecture and Networks units in the School of Computing.
I lecture on the following module(s):
- U21268 - Computer Operating Systems and Intermediate Networking, Level 5
- U21262 - Network Fundamentals, Level 4
I am the coordinator for the following module(s):
- P22436 - Interaction in Computer Systems, Level 7
I have supervised a wide variety of projects for:
- Undergraduate students - Final year engineering/study projects
- Postgraduate taught students - Masters engineering projects
- Postgraduate research students - PhD studies
I am happy to take calls and emails from media on a wide variety of mathematically-related topics, and am aware of the need to respond to journalists in a timely manner.
Interested journalists can also contact the University's Media and Communications team for support and advice on all media engagement, including out of hours.