I am a glaciologist with research and teaching interests in GIS and remote sensing, climate and environmental change, and glaciers and glacial environments.
I studied for an undergraduate degree at the University of Plymouth from 2005-2008 before completing an MSc (by research) at Durham University in 2010, during which I investigated former glacier dynamics in southernmost Patagonia. During my PhD research from 2010-2014 I was based at Queen Mary University of London and the University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS, Norway). This work focused on the landscapes produced by active surging glaciers on the High-Arctic archipelago of Svalbard.
I joined the University of Portsmouth as a lecturer in GIS and Remote Sensing in February 2014. I was promoted to Senior Lecturer in December 2015.
My research focuses on highly-dynamic glaciers and the geomorphological and sedimentological records they produce. This work is largely based on glaciers in the Arctic which exhibit surge-type behaviour, characterised by atypical periodic velocity increases and glacier advances. I am also interested in dynamic ice flow and deglaciation of the Quaternary ice sheets, and glacial lake outburst flood hazards in high mountain regions. I use a combination of satellite data and fieldwork in my research in the following key areas:
- Surging glaciers: dynamics, geomorphological records and climatic controls
- Structural glaciology
- Basal ice and subglacial sediment transport, deformation, and deposition
- The timings and dynamics of former ice masses in southernmost Patagonia
- Evidence for ice sheet stagnation revealed by glaciofluvial deposits
- Glacial lake outburst flood hazards and glacier change in high mountain regions
I supervise the following PhD students with Clare Boston:
- Lauren Knight: Glaciation in the Wicklow Mountains, Ireland
- Paul Weber: Response of Norwegian Plateau Icefields to climate change
I teach the following topics at all levels from first year undergradaute (Level 4) to masters (Level 7):
- GIS and remote sensing
- Earth observation
- Environmental change
- Glaciers and glacial environments
- Glacier hazards
- Applied geophysics
- Surveying and cartography
- Research methods in Physical Geography and Earth Science
- Fieldwork in Physical Geography and GIS
- Academic study skills
I am currently the MSc Geographical Information Systems Course Leader.