Referee and Match Official Research Network
The Referee and Match Official Research Network brings together academics, sports official industry professionals and policy makers interested in the research, insight and development of sports officials around the world.
Research and insight is coordinated and conducted from a variety of disciplines and with numerous partners and collaborators in order to develop a greater understanding of the experience, operational climate, and management of sports officials within national and international organisations and across transnational boundaries.
The network brings together scholars, policy makers and interested parties from a variety of organisations in order to develop a greater understanding of the experience, operational climate, and coordination of match officials within national and international organisations and structures.
To date, sports organisations that have collaborated and been involved in the network in a variety of ways are, UEFA, KNVB (Dutch FA), FFF (French FA), Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL), Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), Surrey County Football Association, Kent County Football Association, The Referees' Association, Ontario Soccer (Canada), Football Victoria (Australia), The International Netball Federation, the Rugby Football League, Sports Officials UK (SOUK), European Observatoire of Sport and Employment (EOSE).
The lead academic of this research group is Dr Tom Webb – please see Tom's profile page for further details.
The network deals with 3 main themes
- Working environment and operation conditions for match officials.
- Development and performance across organisational and societal cultures.
- Leadership, management and coordination of match officials.
Webb, T., Rayner, M., Cleland, J. & O'Gorman, J. (2020), London: Routledge
Webb, T., O'Gorman, J. & Markham, L. (2021), European Sport Management Quarterly
Dawson, P., Webb, T. & Downward, P. (accepted for publication, January 2021), European Journal of Sport Science
Loghmani, M., Cuskelly, G. & Webb, T. (accepted for publication, November 2020), Sport Management Review
Webb, T., Gorczynski, P., Oftadeh Moghadam, S. & Grubb, L. (February 2021), The Sport Psychologist
Gorczynski, P. & Webb, T. (July 2020), Managing Sport and Leisure
Webb, T. (May 2020), Soccer & Society
Webb, T., Dicks, M., Thelwell, R., van der Kamp, J. & Rix-Lievre, G. (February 2020), Sport Management Review, 23 (1), 52-65
For more details on the work of the network – including a full list of publications and media coverage for our work, visit our external Research Portal via one of the buttons below.
- Dr Jamie Cleland – University of South Australia
- Dr Jimmy O’Gorman – Edge Hill University
- Manuel Armenteros - University Carlos III of Madrid, Department of Journalism and Audiovisual Communication
- Dr Géraldine Rix-Lievre - Blaise Pascal University
- Dr Mohsen Loghmani - Shafagh Institute of higher Education, Iran
- Dr Denise Hill - Swansea University
- Professor Paul Downward, Loughborough University
- Professor Graham Cuskelly, Griffiths University, Australia
- Professor Alan Nevill, University of Wolverhampton
- Dr Peter Dawson, University of East Anglia
- Dr Ian Cunningham, Ontario Tech University, Canada
- Dr David Hancock, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
- Dr Jacob Tingle, Trinity University, United States of America
Completed research students
- Lee Markham (MRes) – 'Talent Identification and Development of Football Referees'
Current research students
- Alastair Pearson – 'An International Comparative Analysis of Netball Umpire Preparation and Performance'