Business and Management MSc
MSc Business and Management
Do you see yourself in management? Are you ready to sharpen your leadership skills and learn how to get the best out of your team? On this MSc Business and Management degree course, you'll gain the skills and confidence to get your career off to a flying start.
The MSc Business and Management degree is ideal if you want to pursue a postgraduate course in management. You'll study key themes including internationalisation and corporate engagement, so when you graduate, you'll be qualified for a career in all kinds of organisations, whether in the UK or further afield.
You'll have the tools you need to enter the world of business, or to work in the public or private sectors in industries such as banking, commerce, finance and recruitment.
This course has EPAS accreditation. EPAS is a scheme operated by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD), a European network that promotes and enhances excellence in management development internationally.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Use case studies to analyse complex problems, explore the uncertain nature of business, evaluate possible solutions and plan their implementation
- Study business topics, including marketing, HR, economics, operations management, corporate strategy and financial management
- Complete a business research project, with the option to specialise in a management area of your choice
- Have the opportunity to undertake a work placement and complete a work-based project
- Tap in to our Library’s vast selection of electronic resources, which are available 24/7 and include access to thousands of e-journals
Careers and opportunities
When you graduate, you'll have the skills and knowledge needed for a successful career in business or management roles.
What jobs can you do with a Business and Management degree?
Career opportunities include:
- Management graduate trainee
- Trainee trader
- Business development and consultancy
- Financial and risk analysis
- Sales and marketing co-ordinator
- Market researcher
Alternatively, you may choose to start your own business, or enter further academic study. Whatever you decide to do, you'll get advice and support from our Careers and Employability Service.
I realised I wanted to be very dynamic in the business field. In order to do this I decided to pursue a Master’s degree in Business and Management. Portsmouth uni is highly rated and the tuition is affordable.
What you'll study on this MSc Business and Management degree course
Each module on this course is worth a certain number of credits.
To achieve a Master's degree, you need to study modules worth a total of 180 credits. For example, 4 units worth 30 credits and 1 unit worth 60 credits.
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry.
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the world of business.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
As well as support by faculty teaching staff and your personal tutor, you can use the University’s Academic Skills Unit (ASK).
ASK provides one-to-one support in areas such as:
academicwriting notetaking timemanagement criticalthinking presentationskills referencing workingin groups revision, memory and exam techniques
Teaching methods on this course include:
- one-on-one tutorials
How you'll spend your time
Each academic year is divided into 2 teaching blocks:
- September to December – teaching block 1
- January to May – teaching block 2
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- preparation of web pages
- poster and oral presentations
- project reports
- literature reviews
- book chapters
You'll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
MSc Business and Management Master's degree entry requirements
Qualifications or experience
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Tuition fees (2019 start)
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students:
- Full time - £10,200 (subject to annual increase)
- Part time - £3,400 a year (subject to annual increase)
- Full time - £14,700 (subject to annual increase)
- Part time - £4,900 a year (subject to annual increase)
Additional course costs
These course-related costs aren’t included in the tuition fees. So you’ll need to budget for them when you plan your spending.
Our accommodation section shows your accommodation options and highlights how much it costs to live in Portsmouth.
You’ll study up to 6 modules a year. You may have to read several recommended books or textbooks for each module.
You can borrow most of these from the Library. If you buy these, they may cost up to £60 each.
We recommend that you budget £75 a year for photocopying, memory sticks, DVDs and CDs, printing charges, binding and specialist printing.
If your final year includes a major project, there could be cost for transport or accommodation related to your research activities. The amount will depend on the project you choose.
Apply for this course using our online application form.
If you're from outside of the UK, you can apply directly to us or you can get an agent to help with your application. Check your country page for details of agents in your region. To find out what to include in your application, head to the how to apply page of our international students section.