Two students working together

Need a CAS for your visa?

Follow these steps to make sure your CAS gets issued

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a document that confirms you've been accepted for study at the University of Portsmouth. It's an important part of your visa application.

We'll automatically send your CAS to you by email, when you have:

  • Accepted an unconditional firm offer from us
  • Paid your tuition fee deposit or provided evidence of financial sponsorship
  • Completed your Student Route Eligibility Assessment via CAS Shield
  • Obtained Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance (if your course requires it)

The email will contain a unique number, which you will need for your UKVI Student Route visa application.

As a sponsor, we are bound by law to abide by the UKVI Student Route Sponsor Guidance regulations. Before we can issue a CAS, we'll need to do visa eligibility checks on things like your academic progression, how long you have spent studying in the UK before, and your financial situation.

The earliest you can receive your CAS is three months before the start of your course, as long as all the other conditions have been met. Once you've accepted your unconditional firm offer, it will take a minimum of three working days to issue the CAS.

If you already have your CAS, but can no longer join us, please email to confirm you're no longer coming. We'll then update the UK Home Office. Please note, if your visa application has already been accepted, it will be cancelled once we notify the Home Office you're no longer joining us.

If you already have your CAS, but you've made further tuition fee payments, this will affect your CAS and your visa application. If you haven't applied for your visa, please email to let us know that you've paid more money. We can then update your CAS to show the new payments. Unfortunately, we can't do this if you have already submitted your visa application.

Learn more about CAS and our UKVI Compliance procedures.