female student paying attention during a lecture

Applying from Canada?

Here's all the information you need to study with us

If you’re from Canada and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.

On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.

Entry requirements for students from Canada

If you're joining us from Canada, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.

We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:

Undergraduate courses

If you're interested in applying for a Bachelor's degree, you must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades. You will also need the following qualifications, according to your province:


Ontario Secondary School Diploma  Advanced level, with six Grade 12 U, U/C or M courses including grade 12 U English.


General High School Diploma with an average of at least 65 per cent in five acceptable Grade 12 courses.

British Columbia:

Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma with at least five Bs (BBBBB) awarded in acceptable Grade 12 courses.


Diplôme d'Etudes Collègiales (DEC).

If you are from another Canadian province, please contact us for more information

You can also apply with:

A levels

  • Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
  • Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
  • A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.

International Baccalaureate

  • Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.

You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.

If you don't meet the entry requirements, you can do a foundation course at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.

Postgraduate courses

For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a Bachelor's degree (Honours) with minimum 65% or GPA of 2.6 /4.

Many of our other postgraduate courses will ask for relevant work experience, and some will require you to have studied relevant subjects. Please see our courses for more details.

If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.


We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.

Find a PhD

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

You can apply for financial assistance from OSAP, which supports students at approved institutions outside of Ontario or overseas. The University of Portsmouth is an approved institution and our institution code is: PVCP.

If you would like more information, please contact:

Student Financial Assistance Branch

Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
PO Box 4500
189 Red River Road, 4th Floor
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6G9
Tel: (807) 343 7260
Web: https://osap.gov.on.ca/

Recognition of Law degrees in Canada

If you are considering studying LLB Law (or another Law degree) at the University of Portsmouth and are concerned about recognition from the Canadian Law Association, there are just a few steps you will need to take to ensure that you can practice Law on your return to Canada.

In your final year, you will need to register with the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) and arrange to have your transcripts sent to them by the University. The NCA will then send you a list of courses you will need to take to obtain an equivalency to a Canadian Law degree. If you graduate from your UK degree without any marks below 50%, it is likely you will be required to take 4 exams: Foundations of Canadian Law, Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure, Canadian Constitutional Law, and Principles of Canadian Administrative Law. The NCA will advise you if any other exams are required.

You can either complete these courses through a Canadian Law School or through self-study with the NCA. The NCA provides the syllabus for you to study at home and holds tests four times a year. The tests are on a pass/fail basis. Please note that if you pass your British degree with lower than a 2:2 classification (i.e. less than 50% overall), the NCA will not recognise your degree.

Recognition of health profession programmes in Canada

We advise all applicants to seek advice and guidance from the professional body in Canada before enrolling on a Pharmacy programme.

For further information please contact Pharmacist's Gateway Canada

If you have any further questions about the above, please email kathryn.land@port.ac.uk.

English language requirements

When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.

We accept grade 10/60% or above in English on the Canada Secondary School Diploma (Ontario only, other territories will be considered), IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.

What to do next

Ready to start your adventure with us? Whether you know which degree course you want to do or not, get in touch with us now or meet us at an event near you to discuss your next steps.

Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Canada, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.

Scholarships and Bursaries

As an international student, you may be eligible for a scholarship. You can find out what is available to you on our funding pages.  

Representatives and agents

If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact one of our official representatives in Canada:

Agents in Canada

SI-UK Ontario

Suite 300
150 King Street West
Toronto, Ontario
M5H 1J9

Tel: (+1) 416 998 8532
Email: toronto@studyin-uk.com

Website: studyin-uk.ca