On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from China
If you're joining us from China, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
Entry requirements vary depending on which course you’re applying for, but if you have a Diploma from a Specialised College (zhong zhuan), the High School Diploma and the High School Graduation Equivalency, you'll usually need to do a foundation year before doing an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree.
We recommend you take a foundation course at our associated college International College Portsmouth (ICP).
If you've completed the Chinese Senior High School Diploma plus one year at a recognised university in China, we'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree. You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
If you don't have a Chinese Senior High School Diploma, you can apply with:
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You may also be considered for advanced entry onto a relevant undergraduate degree programme if you have a College Graduation Diploma (Dazhuan) from a recognised university or college on completion of two to three years of study, or a BTEC HND or SQA HND Higher National Diploma in a relevant subject.
You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have one of the following from a recognised Higher Education institution:
- a Bachelor's degree (normally from a four year undergraduate programme)
- a Bachelor's degree from Higher Education Self-Study Examinations (full time)
- a top-up degree or university-recognised Pre-Master’s Foundation programme
Typical minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements:
- From 2.8 on a scale of 1-4
- From 7 on a scale of 1-10
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme atInternational College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.
We accept IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from China, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from China, you can apply for various scholarships and bursaries, including the International Alumni Referral Award, PassPort Bursary and Chevening Scholarship. You can find more information about these on our funding page.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact our official representative in China:
Event type: All events
Location: Various locations
We regularly attend education events and conduct student interviews across the region. For more details, please visit the University of Portsmouth, China website.