two female students from Japan working at computers

Applying from Japan?

Here's all the information you need to study with us

If you’re from Japan and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.

On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.

Entry requirements for students from Japan

If you're joining us from Japan, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.

We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:

Undergraduate courses

We'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree if you have a University Entry Licence Examination Certificate (Daigaku Nyugaki Shikaku Kentei Shiken Gogaku Shosho).

If you've successfully completed your Upper Secondary School (Koto-gakko), we'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course via International College of Portsmouth's Stage 2 programme.

You can also apply with:

A levels

  • Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
  • Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
  • A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.

International Baccalaureate

  • Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.

You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.

You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.

Advanced Entry Requirements

For consideration for advanced entry to our undergraduate programme, you will need an Associate Degree for Year 2 entry and 3 years' Junior College for Year 2 / Final Year advanced entry. For more details please contact one of our local representatives or email

Postgraduate courses

  • A four-year Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university with a score of 70% (if entry requirement is a 2:1)
  • A four-year Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university with a minimum score of 65% (if entry requirement is a 2:2)

If you have relevant work experience, we will also consider your application.

If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.


We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.

Find a PhD

English language requirements

When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.

The English requirement is from 5.5 IELTS in all components to 6.5 IELTS (with no component lower than 6.0) depending on the course/degree applied for.

But don’t worry if you don’t yet meet the English language requirements for the course you’d like to do – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.

What to do next

Ready to start your adventure with us? Whether you know which degree course you want to do or not, get in touch with us now or meet us at an event near you to discuss your next steps.

Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Japan, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.

Representatives and agents

If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, you can contact our South East Asia Office in Kuala Lumpur.

Alternatively, you can contact one of our official representatives in Japan:

Agents in Japan


3rd Floor
Inoi Building 2
2-9-19 Shibata

Tel: (+81) 6 6371 1116


2F Nissei Building East
2-2-13 Shibata, Kita-ku

Tel: (+81) 6 6147 5681



Okada Building
4F, 1-19-8 Shibuya

Tel: (+81) 3 5367 3315


3rd Floor Takagi Building
Kamiosaki, Shinagawa-ku

Tel: (+81) 3 5272 9143



(UK office)
London 93–95 Gloucester Place

Tel: (+44) 020 7487 8247


Savi UK Ltd

Linen Hall 408
4th Floor
Regent Street

Tel: (+44) 020 7240 0463

Events in Japan

We don't have any current events planned in Japan, but we do plan regular events so check back here often for more information.

You can also contact us, or speak to an agent in your region for more assistance.