If you’re from Japan and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.
On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from Japan
If you're joining us from Japan, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
We'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree if you have a University Entry Licence Examination Certificate (Daigaku Nyugaki Shikaku Kentei Shiken Gogaku Shosho).
If you've successfully completed your Upper Secondary School (Koto-gakko), we'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course via International College of Portsmouth's Stage 2 programme.
You can also apply with:
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
Advanced Entry Requirements
For consideration for advanced entry to our undergraduate programme, you will need an Associate Degree for Year 2 entry and 3 years' Junior College for Year 2 / Final Year advanced entry. For more details please contact one of our local representatives or email email@example.com
- A four-year Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university with a score of 70% (if entry requirement is a 2:1)
- A four-year Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university with a minimum score of 65% (if entry requirement is a 2:2)
If you have relevant work experience, we will also consider your application.
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.
The English requirement is from 5.5 IELTS in all components to 6.5 IELTS (with no component lower than 6.0) depending on the course/degree applied for.
But don’t worry if you don’t yet meet the English language requirements for the course you’d like to do – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Japan, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, you can contact our South East Asia Office in Kuala Lumpur.
Alternatively, you can contact one of our official representatives in Japan: