If you’re from New Zealand and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.
On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from New Zealand
If you're joining us from New Zealand, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
If you've achieved the National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) Level 3 with Merit (M) and Excellence (E), we'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree. You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
If you don't have a National Certificate of Educational Achievement, you can apply via UCAS or online with:
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a Bachelor's degree with at least grade C, from a recognised Higher Education institution.
Typical minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements:
- From 2.8 on a scale of 1-4
- From 7 on a scale of 1-10
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from New Zealand, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from New Zealand, you can apply for various scholarships and bursaries, including the International Alumni Referral Award and Chevening Scholarship. You can find more information about these on our funding page.