If you’re from Sri Lanka and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.
On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from Sri Lanka
If you're joining us from Sri Lanka, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
If you have completed Sri Lankan O levels, you'll usually need to do a foundation year before doing an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree.
We recommend you take a foundation course at our associated college International College Portsmouth (ICP).
If you've completed a foundation course, we'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree. You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
You can apply with:
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
If you have a High National Diploma (HND) or Higher Diploma you can apply for advanced entry onto a relevant undergraduate programme.
You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications, including Sri Lankan A Levels. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a 4-year Bachelor's degree from a recognised Higher Education institution. Grade requirements vary depending on the course you wish to study, but as a guide:
- 70% to 100% - equivalent to UK First class honours
- 60% to 70% - equivalent to UK Higher second class honours
- 55% to 60% - equivalent to UK Second class honours
- 40% - Pass
For entry onto our MBA International, you will also need at least 3 years' relevant work experience after graduation, in a managerial or supervisory role. Many of our other postgraduate courses will ask for relevant work experience, and some will require you to have studied relevant subjects. Please see our courses for more details.
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.We accept IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
UK Alumni Sri Lanka Network
UK Alumni is a virtual community for all Sri Lankans holding UK qualifications. You can use it to:
- Access the Sri Lankan job market through the alumni jobsite
- Create your own alumni group
- Link up with alumni groups in Sri Lanka and the UK
- Learn about events organised by alumni groups and the British Council
- Share events and messages on the bulletin board
Registration is free, and Sri Lankan undergraduate students can access the website by registering as a 'current student'. For more information, please contact the British Council Sri Lanka - firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Sri Lanka, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from Sri Lanka, you may be eligible for a scholarship. You can find out what is available to you on our funding pages.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, you can contact our colleagues in Delhi.
Alternatively, you can contact one of our official representatives in Sri Lanka:
Agents in Sri Lanka
Aspirations Education (Pvt) Ltd
267/20, 1/1, Samagi Mawatha