If you’re from Uganda and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is a great place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.
On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from Uganda
If you're joining us from Uganda, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
If you have one of the following (with 'credit' in a minimum of 5 subjects including English and Maths), you'll usually need to do a foundation year before doing an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree:
- East African Certificate of Education (EACE)
- Cambridge Overseas School Certificate (COSC)
- Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE)
We'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree if you have completed a foundation course.
You can also apply if you have a minimum of 3 subjects equivalent to A Levels in:
- the Cambridge Overseas Higher School Certificate (COHSC)
- the Higher National Diploma
- the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE)
You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
You can also apply with:
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You may be able to join an undergraduate course with other qualifications. We do consider qualifications from a range of sources. Contact us to find out more.
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have a Bachelor's degree from a recognised Higher Education institution.
Typical minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements:
- From 2.8 on a scale of 1-4
- From 7 on a scale of 1-10
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.
We will usually accept a Grade C/1-6 in English in the following:
- the East African Certificate of Education (EACE)
- the Cambridge Overseas School Certificate (COSC)
- the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE)
We also accept IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Uganda, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from Uganda, you can apply for various scholarships and bursaries, including the International Alumni Referral Award and Chevening Scholarship. You can find more information about these on our funding page.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, contact one of our official representatives in Uganda:
Plot 6 Wilson Rd
The Mall Shopping Centre
Duse Pharmaceuticals Ltd Offices Shop 30
PO Box 9675
Contact person: Solomon Edward Semanda
Tel: (+256) 75-262-9482
Rainbow International School HE Fair
Date: 29 January 2019
Event type: Education Fair
Venue: Tyaba Zone
Jenny Hyde, Senior Global Officer, will be in Kampala on Tuesday 29 January at the Rainbow International School HE Fair.
Please visit our stand to find out about your accommodation options, applying for a student visa, student life and preparing for Portsmouth.