University vision 2030 and strategy 2025
Together we achieve – we are Portsmouth
By 2030, we will be the top modern university in the UK and one of the top 100 young universities in the world. That is our bold Vision. Naturally, we can't get there in one leap. Here, we set out our Strategy for the next five years – what we need to do by 2025 to be on course to make our Vision a reality.
Both our Vision and Strategy are ambitious – and with good reason. We are on the rise. In 2017, we were awarded TEF Gold – the highest rating for teaching quality. In 2019, we were awarded £5.8 million by Research England to develop our plastics research – the largest single research award in the University's history. We continue to be a desirable destination for students.
To create, share and apply knowledge to make a difference to individuals and society.
Our values underpin everything we do
- We pursue bold ideas in an environment where creativity, innovation and success is encouraged and celebrated
- We nurture and value relationships and partnerships that foster a global outlook
- We inspire and support staff and students to achieve their potential and meet the challenges of society
- We never settle for second best
- We act with integrity for the greater good
- We insist on upholding the highest academic and professional standards
- We respect and celebrate diversity and equal opportunity through an inclusive culture
- We aim for sustainability across all our activities
- We work consultatively and collaboratively to benefit from new perspectives
- We share ideas and maintain transparency
- We are trustworthy and do what we say we will do
- We listen and respond to the needs of our students and staf
OUR 2030 VISION
By 2030, we will be the UK's top modern university and one of the top 100 young universities in the world.
Engage every student in a life-changing experienceThrough innovative and inclusive education, every student – irrespective of their background – will reach their potential, with outstanding outcomes and employability.
Meet changing demand and widen participationWe will have 10,000 more students – including growth beyond Portsmouth, through our physical and digital presence.
Deliver globally-recognised research and innovative solutions that improve societyWe will develop a world-leading reputation through at least three research institutes. Five high-value, major strategic partnerships will be shining examples of translating academic expertise into practical results.
Become one of the UK's leading civic universitiesWe will be recognised as setting a new benchmark for civic engagement through the positive differences we make across our region.
Significantly build our global reach and reputationFive or more deep-rooted strategic university partnerships, on at least three continents, will promote global engagement for our students and staff and support world-leading research and innovation.
Lead in environmental sustainability and become climate positiveWe will work with our students, staff and partners to improve sustainability, and aim to become a climate-positive university by 2030.
Transform our alumni relations and advancement activityOur global alumni will become ambassadors for Portsmouth. Philanthropic activity and donations will transform our world-class research, education and student opportunities.
Achieving this vision will only be possible if our staff are fully and proudly engaged in working for the University of Portsmouth. We will inspire the University community to be creative and bold in delivering this vision.
We will radically transform the digital technology and systems that support our staff and our students. And we will invest in our campus and infrastructure to meet these shared ambitions.
This Strategy sets out our ambitions to 2025, to set us on course to achieve our 2030 vision.
OUR AMBITIONS BY 2025
Our Strategy starts with our staff community, as they make the University what it is.
To realise our ambitions we have established these priorities.
To support delivery of our ambitions, we have the following enablers.
By 2025 we will:
Deliver quality and excellence across all activities
- We will achieve the highest quality standards and effective governance across all our activities including education, research and innovation, and our professional services
- Our professional services and corporate systems will be highly efficient and effective, creating greater scope for our people to innovate in support of our Vision.
Invest in our future and maintain financial strength
- We are here for the future. Strong financial management will ensure we build on our strengths by investing in strategic priorities and disinvesting where appropriate.
- Major capital investment will be planned and financed to support delivery of our long- term vision.
Enhance our estate and infrastructure
- Through implementation of our estates masterplan, alongside maintaining and re-purposing our existing buildings, we will ensure our estate supports our strategy into the long-term.
- We will create flexible facilities which promote innovation in learning, teaching and research, in line with our ambitions.
Innovate through digital technologies
- We will build a reputation for leading-edge educational research and pioneering delivery, using digital technology to unlock the potential in all our students.
- Radical digital innovation, both in our operations and in the provision of learning and teaching, will transform the impact of our activities.