Inspired by the Olympics?
Find out more about sports news, research and alumni at the University
If you've been inspired watching the athletes compete in this year's Olympic Games, get involved with sport at Portsmouth.
We're home to one of the leading Sport and Exercise Science departments in the UK, and have comprehensive sports facilities - so there's always a lot going on.
Below you'll find lots of information about our sports courses and research, as well as all of the sports opportunities on campus.
Our sport science research
Sports and Human Performance Testing
Analyse sports performance and environmental physiology, and use some of the best extreme environments facilities in the UK.
Sports and Exercise Science
We're researching sport and exercise science with the goal of enhancing human performance and health.
Stay up to date with the latest news from the School of Sport, Health and Exercise Science with Pulse.
Latest sport news
Latest sports blogs
Sports on campus
We have a range of sport and fitness facilities on campus. Whether you're looking to try something new and stay fit, or want to compete at the highest level of your chosen sport, we've got the facilities and expertise to help you achieve your goals.
We also have sports and gym memberships that are open to everyone in the community, not only our students and staff. All types of membership provide unlimited gym access, unlimited fitness classes and unlimited racket sports bookings.
Sport and fitness facilities
- A 125-station gym with free weights, functional equipment, resistance machines and cardio machines
- A sports centre with cardio and multi-use studio spaces, boxing bags, treadmills and free weights
- Fitness classes, courses and workshops, led by our skilled fitness staff – including cardio cycling, yoga fitness, cardio conditioning and pilates
- Indoor sports halls and courts where you can play volleyball, badminton, tennis, squash and more
- Outdoor courts and pitches for sports including football, rugby, netball and tennis
- Ravelin Sports Centre opening in 2022, will offer an 8 lane swimming pool, 175 station gym, climbing wall and ski simulator
Health, fitness and sport at the University of Portsmouth
Take a look at our new sports centre opening in 2022
We have built a new sports centre for you to play, train, and compete, which has been designed to be one of the UK's most sustainable sports centres.
Students, staff, and local residents will all be able to enjoy the facilities. A range of classes and courses, personal training and very affordable membership with great benefits will be available.
You can find out more by watching our short video below.
A fly-through tour of our outstanding new sports centre
Recorded during the final stages of the building process, this fly-through tour gives you a glimpse of the facilities within Ravelin Sports Centre.
Interested in studying sport at Portsmouth?
Discover sport science
Learn more about studying sport at Portsmouth from alumni
Eddie Koppoe - BSc (Hons) Sports Management and Development
BSc (Hons) Sports Management and Development
Charles Hervey - MSc Sports Performance
MSc Sports Performance
Lucy Oliver - LLB (Hons) Law, Msc Sports Management
LLB (Hons) Law, MSc Sports Management