Sport science courses
Browse courses by subject
Sport science covers many elements of sport, health and fitness including biomechanics, physiology, nutrition, psychology, and business, management and operations of elite sport.
Depending on what you choose to study, you could learn to understand and enhance athletic performance, look at the role of the mind in sporting success, or develop skills to set up your own sports business.
Our Sports Science graduates have gone on to careers such as sports therapist, physiologist, nutritionist, personal trainer, administrator and coach.
Why study sport science with us?
- We've got impressive links with sporting bodies and professional organisations, and we're investing millions in our facilities – including £50 million in a new sports centre.
- Our Department of Sport and Exercise Science was awarded an Athena SWAN bronze award, recognising our commitment to good employment practice.
- You can use our gym and fitness studios and specialist facilities such as our motion capture systems.
- Portsmouth is a sporty city and home to the Great South Run, INEOS Team UK and Portsmouth Football Club.
- You can do a placement after your second year to get valuable work experience in the field and to develop your skills. Placement students usually work alongside local clubs, teams and organisations and often organise and promote sporting events. We'll help you find a placement for your aspirations.
The things I learned have definitely helped me to be a better sail trainer, and help me in my personal day-to-day exercising as well. You get good options as you progress for modules, do so many great practicals and labs, and the lecturers are fun and really enthusiastic too.
Our staff are accredited by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REP), the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, and the British Psychological Society. Accreditation means you'll be taught by experienced and qualified professionals.
Undergraduate Sport Science courses (2019/20 entry)
- Exercise and Fitness Management BSc (Hons)
- Sport and Exercise Psychology BSc (Hons)
- Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)
- Sports Management and Coaching HND
- Sports Management and Development BSc (Hons)
- Sports Science and Management (Top-up) BSc (Hons)
Postgraduate Sport Science courses (2019/20 entry)
- Applied Science (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Clinical Exercise Science MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Human and Applied Physiology MSc
- Physical Activity, Exercise and Health MSc
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Science MRes
- Sport and Exercise Psychology MSc
- Sports Management MSc
- Sports Performance MSc
- Sport and Exercise Science MPhil and PhD