Sport science courses
Browse courses by subject
Why study Sport Science?
Depending on what you choose to study, your Sport Science degree could help you gain the knowledge needed to understand and enhance athletic performance. A degree in Sport Science could also help you get the expertise required to examine the role of the mind in sporting success, and develop the necessary skills to set up your own sports business.
Once you graduate with a Sport Science degree, you could follow our previous students into jobs such as sports therapist, physiologist, nutritionist, personal trainer, administrator and coach.
No.1 university in the UK for graduate salary boost (The Economist, 2017)
No.21 university in the UK (Guardian University Guide, 2020)
5 reasons to study Sport Science with us
- We've got impressive links with sporting bodies and professional organisations, and we're investing millions in our facilities – including £50 million in a new sports centre.
- Our Department of Sport and Exercise Science was awarded an Athena SWAN bronze award, recognising our commitment to good employment practice.
- You can use our gym and fitness studios and specialist facilities such as our motion capture systems.
- Portsmouth is a sporty city and home to the Great South Run, INEOS Team UK and Portsmouth Football Club.
- You can do a placement after your second year to get valuable work experience in the field and to develop your skills. Placement students usually work alongside local clubs, teams and organisations and often organise and promote sporting events. We'll help you find a placement for your aspirations.
The things I learned have definitely helped me to be a better sail trainer, and help me in my personal day-to-day exercising as well. You get good options as you progress for modules, do so many great practicals and labs, and the lecturers are fun and really enthusiastic too.
Our staff are accredited by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REP), the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, and the British Psychological Society. Accreditation means you'll be taught by experienced and qualified professionals.
Undergraduate Sport Science courses
- Exercise and Fitness Management BSc (Hons)
- Sport and Exercise Psychology BSc (Hons)
- Sport and Exercise Science BSc (Hons)
- Sports Management and Development BSc (Hons)
Postgraduate Sport Science courses
- Clinical Exercise Science MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Human and Applied Physiology MSc
- Physical Activity, Exercise and Health MSc
- Sport and Exercise Psychology MSc
- Sports Management MSc
- Sports Performance MSc
- Sport and Exercise Science MPhil and PhD
- Strength, Conditioning and Rehabilitation MSc
- Professional Doctorate in Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Professional Doctorate in Sport, Exercise and Health Science
Book your place at one of our Open Days for undergraduates, and get a feel for student life in Portsmouth.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.