Mathematics and physics courses
Browse courses by subject
Our Mathematics and Physics degrees cover fundamental concepts of mathematics such as calculus, linear algebra, statistics, fundamental physics, quantum technologies, materials research, particle physics, cosmology and astrophysics.
Graduates with a maths or physics degree are sought-after in many industries, including transport, financial services, research and communications. Our past students have gone on to jobs in areas such as finance, software engineering, investment analysis, data science, nanotechnology and research science.
Undergraduate Mathematics or Physics courses
- Mathematics BSc (Hons) and MMath
- Mathematics for Finance and Management BSc (Hons)
- Mathematics with Statistics BSc (Hons)
- Physics BSc (Hons) and MPhys (Hons)
- Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology BSc (Hons) and MPhys (Hons)
What can you do with a Maths degree?
Mathematicians are vital to keeping the ever-complex modern world moving. Maths underpins the safety and efficiency of our transport and infrastructure. It helps us analyse and find solutions to society's most-pressing issues, from climate change to crime prevention. Almost every facet of the world relies on the use and study of numbers, patterns and algorithms.
What can you do with a Physics degree?
Physicists observe natural phenomena – the way matter and energy interact – and create laws to explain them. They explore physical matter on every scale, from stars to sub-atomic particles, and energy in all its forms. They're behind the technology of the future and at the forefront in solving global issues such as climate change.
5 reasons to study Mathematics with us
- We're a top 30 university for student satisfaction (NSS, 2020).
- You'll access advanced mathematical and statistical software including Mathematica, MAPLE, MATLAB and industry standard statistical and operational research software.
- You could join our Ambassador Scheme and undertake a placement in a local school. Placements offer firsthand experience of mathematics education through a mentor scheme supported by mathematics teachers and with classes ranging from Key Stage 2 to A Level.
- Our Maths Café offers advice and assistance with mathematical skills in a friendly, informal environment. You can come to our daily drop-in sessions, develop your maths skills at a workshop or use our online resources.
- You could do a paid placement year after your second year to get experience in industry or commerce. Placement companies include Disney, IBM, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and major banks.
I wanted to study Mathematics because I love the feeling of solving problems, especially problems that look terrifying at first. I was inspired daily by my lecturers, their passion is contagious
5 reasons to study Physics with us
- Our Physics research was ranked in the top 10 nationally for quality of research outputs in the Government-backed Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
- You'll use technologies including Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE), Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Vibrating Sample Magnetometry (VSM).
- Use LabVIEW software – the same software CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research) use to run the Large Hadron Collider particle accelerator.
- Utilise our industry links through the Portsmouth Physics Industry Advisory Board.
- You could do a paid placement year after your second year to get experience in industry or commerce. Placement companies include Airbus, BAE Systems and QinetiQ.
Find out how you can discover the city, the University and our campus at one of our Open Days and Open Evenings.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.