Find your mathematics or physics course
Take your skills to the next level on courses designed to open doors to ambitious careers
Our Mathematics and Physics degrees cover fundamental concepts of mathematics such as calculus, linear algebra, statistics, fundamental physics, quantum technologies, materials research, particle physics, cosmology and astrophysics.
Graduates with a maths or physics degree are sought-after in many industries, including transport, financial services, research and communications. Our past students have gone on to jobs in areas such as finance, software engineering, investment analysis, data science, nanotechnology and research science.
Undergraduate Mathematics or Physics courses
What can you do with a Maths degree?
Mathematicians are vital to keeping the ever-complex modern world moving. Maths underpins the safety and efficiency of our transport and infrastructure. It helps us analyse and find solutions to society's most-pressing issues, from climate change to crime prevention. Almost every facet of the world relies on the use and study of numbers, patterns and algorithms.
I wanted to study Mathematics because I love the feeling of solving problems, especially problems that look terrifying at first. I was inspired daily by my lecturers, their passion is contagious
What can you do with a Physics degree?
Physicists observe natural phenomena – the way matter and energy interact – and create laws to explain them. They explore physical matter on every scale, from stars to sub-atomic particles, and energy in all its forms. They're behind the technology of the future and at the forefront in solving global issues such as climate change.
5 reasons to study Mathematics with us
- Our Mathematics research was judged as having 100% of its impact as very considerable or outstanding, and 100% of our research environment was judged to be internationally-excellent or world-leading in the Government-backed Research Excellence Framework 2021. We were ranked 1st among modern UK universities for our overall performance and our research environment.
- You'll access advanced mathematical and statistical software including Mathematica, MAPLE, MATLAB and industry standard statistical and operational research software.
- You could join our Ambassador Scheme and undertake a placement in a local school. Placements offer firsthand experience of mathematics education through a mentor scheme supported by mathematics teachers and with classes ranging from Key Stage 2 to A Level.
- Our Maths Café offers advice and assistance with mathematical skills in a friendly, informal environment. You can come to our daily drop-in sessions, develop your maths skills at a workshop or use our online resources.
- You could do a paid placement year after your second year to get experience in industry or commerce. Placement companies include Disney, IBM, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and major banks.
Discover Mathematics and Physics at Portsmouth
Give me a university that feeds my imagination and opens my mind to the boundless potential of numbers.
Give me a university whose purpose it is to make sure I achieve my goals, encourage my talent and ambition, and give me the support to succeed.
Give me the right tools to get to where I want to go.
Give me the University of Portsmouth.
5 reasons to study Physics with us
- Our Physics research was ranked 6th in the UK, and the top modern university, for the quality of our research in the Government-backed Research Excellence Framework 2021.
- You'll use technologies including Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE), Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Vibrating Sample Magnetometry (VSM).
- Use LabVIEW software – the same software CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research) use to run the Large Hadron Collider particle accelerator.
- Utilise our industry links through the Portsmouth Physics Industry Advisory Board.
- You could do a paid placement year after your second year to get experience in industry or commerce. Placement companies include Airbus, BAE Systems and QinetiQ.
Undergraduate Open Days
Thinking about joining us as an undergrad? Book your spot at one of our upcoming Open Days.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.
Find an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course that suits you at Portsmouth.