Mathematics and physics courses
Browse courses by subject
What can you do with a Maths or Physics degree?
Physicists observe natural phenomena – the way matter and energy interact – and create laws to explain them. They explore physical matter on every scale, from stars to sub-atomic particles, and energy in all its forms. They're behind the technology of the future, and at the forefront in solving global issues, such as climate change.
Mathematicians are equally vital to keeping the ever-complex modern world moving. Maths underpins the safety and efficiency of our transport and infrastructure. It helps us to analyse and find solutions to society's most-pressing issues, from climate change to crime prevention. In fact, almost every facet of the world relies on the the use and study of numbers, patterns and algorithms.
Our Mathematics and Physics degrees cover fundamental concepts of mathematics such as calculus, linear algebra, statistics, fundamental physics, quantum technologies, materials research, particle physics, cosmology and astrophysics.
Graduates with maths degree and physics degrees are sought-after in many industries – including transport, financial services, research and communications – and our past students have gone on to graduate jobs in areas such as finance, software engineering, investment analysis, data science; nanotechnology, and research science.
5 reasons to study Mathematics and Physics with us
- Access advanced mathematical and statistical software including Mathematica, MAPLE, MATLAB, and industry standard statistical and operational research software.
- For physics courses, you'll use technologies including Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE), Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Vibrating Sample Magnetometry (VSM).
- Use LabVIEW software – the same software CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research) use to run the Large Hadron Collider particle accelerator.
- You could do also do a paid placement year after your second year to get experience in industry or commerce. Companies where you could do your placement include Airbus, BAE Systems, Disney, QinetiQ, IBM, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and a number of major banks.
- Our Physics research was ranked in the top 10 nationally for quality of research outputs in the Government-backed Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
The variety of topics available and the wealth of knowledge and experience the Mathematics lecturers brought to the course was great -- and the sense of community made my time at Portsmouth really special.
Undergraduate Mathematics and Physics courses (2019/20 entry)
- Mathematics BSc (Hons)
- Mathematics for Finance and Management BSc (Hons)
- Mathematics MMath
- Mathematics with Statistics BSc (Hons)
- Physics BSc (Hons)
- Physics MPhys (Hons)
- Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology BSc (Hons)
- Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology MPhys (Hons)
Still deciding what to study at university? Search for a degree from our list of subject areas to find the right course for you.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.