Criminology and forensic studies courses
Browse courses by subject
Our criminology and forensic studies degrees explore why criminals behave the way they do and consider ways of identifying and preventing crime using techniques from forensics to cyber technology.
Depending on the course you choose, you'll build sociological, psychological and forensic skills to prepare you for careers in law enforcement, probation, crime rehabilitation, cybercrime or counter fraud and crime prevention.
Why study criminology and forensic studies with us?
We have links with key bodies in the industry such as the National Crime Squad and the National Cyber Security Centre, and the Cabinet Office. You can do an optional placement year with them to gain valuable experience before you graduate. Previous students have also done placements with Hampshire Constabulary and Hampshire Fire and Rescue.
Since graduating from this course, I've worked for Surrey Police, the Metropolitan Police and Hampshire Police, and now I'm training as a detective. Having visited a number of other universities, it's clear that Portsmouth is committed to leading the way in Criminology.
Several of our courses are recognised or accredited by professional bodies such as the Counter Fraud Professional Accreditation Board and the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences (CSFS). This means you learn up-to-date knowledge and skills, and could gain student membership of professional organisations, depending on which course you choose.
Undergraduate Criminology and Forensic studies courses (2019/20 entry)
- Counter Fraud and Criminal Justice Studies (Distance Learning) BSc (Hons)
- Crime and Criminology (Distance Learning) BSc (Hons)
- Criminology and Criminal Justice BSc (Hons)
- Criminology and Cybercrime BSc (Hons)
- Criminology and Forensic Studies BSc (Hons)
- Criminology with Psychology BSc (Hons)
- Policing and Investigation (Distance Learning) BSc (Hons)
- Risk and Security Management (Distance Learning) BSc (Hons)
- Sociology and Criminology BSc (Hons)
Postgraduate Criminology and Forensic studies courses (2019/20 entry)
- Child Forensic Studies: Psychology and Law MSc
- Corporate Governance and Law/Grad ICSA LLM
- Counter Fraud and Counter Corruption MSc
- Crime Science MSc
- Criminal Justice MSc
- Criminal Psychology MSc
- Criminology MSc
- Cybercrime MSc
- Dispute Resolution LLM/PgCert
- Forensic Accounting MSc
- Forensic Information Technology MSc
- Forensic Psychology MSc
- Forensic Psychology Practice PgDip
- Humanities and Social Sciences MRes
- Intelligence MSc
- International Criminal Justice MSc
- Law LLM
- Policing, Policy and Leadership MSc
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Science MRes
- Security Management MSc
- Victimology MSc
- Law and Criminology MPhil and PhD