- Accounting, economics and finance courses
- Architecture and surveying courses
- Biological sciences
- Business, management and marketing
- Childhood, youth studies, and education courses
- Computer games, animation, and digital technologies courses
- Criminology and Forensic Studies Courses
- Data science and machine learning courses
- Drama, music, and performing arts courses
- Earth sciences
- English and creative writing
- Fashion, photography, graphic arts, and design courses
- Film and television courses
- Geography and environmental science courses
- Healthcare and social care
- History, politics and international relations courses
- Languages courses
- Law courses
- Mathematics and physics courses
- Media and journalism courses
- Psychology and sociology courses
- Sport science
Find the Media and Journalism course for you
From the best journalism course in the country, to media degrees that tick all the right boxes, your future career is in safe hands
Why study Media and Journalism?
Our Media and Journalism degrees cover entertainment and identity in the media, writing for the press, marketing, advertising across every platform from newspaper to radio to digital media. They also cover how the media portrays important issues, such as conflict and democracy.
In an increasingly turbulent world, the ability to communicate well is vital, and a Media and Journalism degree will help you sharpen those skills. If you're passionate about the media's role in speaking truth to power, a Media and Journalism degree can help you gain the confidence to do just that.
Media and Journalism students have graduated into jobs in television, magazines, newspapers, social media, advertising, and copywriting. They've become foreign correspondents, publishers, journalists, social media experts, and much more – and you could follow in their footsteps.
for journalism in the UK
(Guardian University Guide, 2024)
- Global Communication and Media (Dual Degree) BA (Hons)
- Journalism BA (Hons)
- Journalism with Creative Writing BA (Hons)
- Journalism with Media Studies BA (Hons)
- Media Studies BA (Hons)
- Media and Communication with Foundation Year BA (Hons)
- Creative Media and Technology HND
5 reasons to study Media and Journalism with us
Our Journalism, publishing and public relations courses are ranked number 12 in the UK (The Guardian University Guide, 2021).
Our BA (Hons) Journalism is the best journalism degree in the UK. The course was awarded the Best Performing Undergraduate Course for 2017–18 and 2018–19 by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ). This is based on the number of students gaining the Gold Standard for the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism.
Our Journalism courses were developed with input from experts working at The Sun and The Daily Mail, regional media groups such as Johnston Press, Newsquest and Trinity Mirror, and national public relations agencies.
On our Media degrees, you can learn about the past, present and possible futures of media around the world and be taught by widely published media experts.
Our facilities and resources are some of the best in the country and our experts have years of experience in the press industry.
You can do a placement year to get experience in the media or journalism field before you graduate. We have links with leading media organisations so can help you find a placement that matches your career ambitions.
The city is so tight knit so you form close relationships with your course mates. The course leaders were also always available when you needed them, and pushed you when you sometimes wanted to give up. They always believed in me.
Sophie Curr, BA (Hons) Journalism
Our BA (Hons) Journalism degree is accredited by the NCTJ. Accreditation means you get top-quality teaching and up-to-date skills.
University Open Days, tours and events
Thinking about joining us? Book your spot at one of our upcoming Open Days.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.
Find an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course that suits you at Portsmouth.