Find the languages degree for you
Our courses can help you become an expert in another language, develop translation skills, and develop your career overseas
Why study Languages?
Studying a Languages degree at university is the perfect way to take your language skills to the next level. Modern society is multicultural and much of modern business is global, so the ability to speak multiple languages is always in demand.
You can study one or two languages during your degree, and you could be a fluent speaker by the time you graduate. You could also have the chance to learn about the culture and history of the countries and cultures that speak the languages you're studying.
A Languages degree will improve your communication skills, and give you the skills to work independently. Because you'll be immersed in a different language and culture during your studies, a Languages degree is also an excellent way of showing you're a mature and adaptable person.
What can you do with a Languages degree?
With a Languages degree, you'll be ready for a career as a translator, linguist, interpreter or teacher. Employees with language degrees are also highly sought-after by many international businesses and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
Undergraduate Languages courses
- Applied Languages BA (Hons)
- International Business Communication (Top-up) BA (Hons)
- Language Studies BA (Hons)
- Modern Languages BA (Hons)
Postgraduate Languages courses
- Applied Linguistics and TESOL MA
- Applied Linguistics and TESOL (with Professional Experience) MA
- Business Communication for International Leadership MA
- Business Communication for International Leadership (with Professional Experience) MA
- Humanities and Social Sciences MRes
- PGCE courses PGCE
- Translation Studies MA
- Languages and Applied Linguistics MPhil and PhD
4 reasons to study a Languages degree with us
- We have language and linguistic experts who'll teach you in digital language labs like our Interpreter Training Suite, which has the latest interpreting hardware and software. You can develop conference interpreting skills and replicate professional environments.
- You'll go on a year abroad to immerse yourself in the culture of the countries where your chosen languages are spoken. You'll develop your linguistic skills while making memories you'll never forget.
- On some of our languages degrees, we can also help you get an internationally-recognised teaching qualification, such as the Trinity Certificate in TESOL.
- Our Initial Teacher Training (ITT) qualification enables you to be eligible for QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and teach languages in an English or Welsh secondary school. You'll be eligible for a £9,000 bursary when you finish the final year of your degree.
I had the most fantastic experience on this course. I went to study abroad as past of the Erasmus+ scheme, which completed my course perfectly and initiated the path into my career.
University Open Days, tours and events
Thinking about joining us? Book your spot at one of our upcoming Open Days.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.
Find an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course that suits you at Portsmouth.