Drama, music and performing arts courses
Browse courses by subject
What can I do with a Drama, Music or Performing Arts degree?
The arts are an essential part of any thriving society. Whether spreading joy or shining a light on injustice, the performing arts remain an increasingly important subject.
A Drama, Music or Performing Arts degree will prepare you for work in the arts, by helping you gain the skills, knowledge and experience to turn your passion for the arts into a career.
When you study for a degree in Drama, Music or Performing Arts you'll have the chance to grow your understanding of the historical and cultural history of the arts – and the opportunity to learn the latest techniques to improve your work. You'll also gain the essential skill of networking, and interact with other artists and performers who could become future collaborators and colleagues.
As well as performance, your studies will prepare for a variety of artistic careers, and our past students have gone on to graduate jobs as writers, producers, managers and arts teachers. Many have founded their own companies too.
4 reasons to study Drama, Music and Performing Arts with us
- We have strong links to local theatres such as the New Theatre Royal, where you can do an optional placement year to gain valuable work experience and get professional input.
- Music students have done placements at Hot Vox Studios, Blackhill Studios and Mayfield Studios
- Get insight from our regular guest speakers. Recent speakers have included Sheila Hancock, Edward Bond, Mark Ravenhill, David Edgar, Howard Brenton, Michelene Wandor, Pete Wyer and Yvon Bonenfant
- Use our sound labs and our performance studios to hone your talents.
If you take this course, it'll be the best 3 years of your life and you’ll leave with the confidence and life skills needed to succeed. Thanks to my degree, I'm now running my own drama department, helping students passionate about the performing arts get through their GCSEs and A levels.
Undergraduate Drama, Music and Performing Arts courses (2019/20 entry)
- Creative Music Technology Top-up BA (Hons)
- Drama and Performance BA (Hons)
- Musical Theatre BA (Hons)
- Music and Sound Technology BSc (Hons)
Still deciding what to study at university? Search for a degree from our list of subject areas to find the right course for you.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.