Find the engineering course for you
The University of Portsmouth is the perfect place to start your journey in engineering
Why study Engineering?
Engineering uses science, mathematics and empirical evidence to design, plan, build and maintain things like engines, power systems, machines, buildings and structures. From new product innovations to large-scale public projects, engineering keeps the modern world moving forward, so an Engineering degree is an always-relevant, always in-demand qualification.
We offer degrees in four areas of Engineering – Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Energy Engineering. Depending on which you decide to pursue, your undergraduate or postgraduate Engineering degree could be the perfect preparation for jobs such as aerospace engineer, product design engineer, geotechnical engineer, or an expert in sustainable construction.
Undergraduate Engineering courses
- Civil Engineering (Degree Apprenticeship) BEng (Hons)
- Construction HNC
- Construction Management BSc (Hons)
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering HNC
- Electronic Engineering (Top-Up) (Degree Apprenticeship) BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering BEng (Hons)/MEng
- Electronic Systems Engineering (Distance Learning) (Top-up) (2 or 3 Year) BEng (Hons)
- Engineering and Technology with Foundation Year BEng (Hons)
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (Distance Learning) (Top-up) BEng (Hons)
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Top Up Degree Apprenticeship BEng (Hons)
- Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons)/MEng
- Mechanical Engineering HNC
- Product Design and Innovation BSc (Hons)
- Renewable Energy Engineering BEng (Hons)/MEng
- Applied Science (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Building Surveying (Degree Apprenticeship) BSc (Hons)
- Engineering and Management Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Earth Science BSc (Hons)
- Engineering Project Management (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Engineering Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Maritime Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Software Engineering BSc (Hons)
Postgraduate Engineering courses
- Advanced Manufacturing MSc
- Civil Engineering MSc
- Construction Project Management MSc
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering MSc
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering MSc (with Professional Experience)
- Energy and Power Systems Management MSc
- Engineering (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Engineering and Management (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Engineering Competence (Distance Learning) (Degree Apprenticeship) PgDip
- Engineering Geology MSc
- Engineering Management MSc
- Engineering Project Management (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Maritime Studies (Learning at Work) MSc
- Mechanical Engineering MSc
- Petroleum and Gas Engineering MSc
- Quantity Surveying MSc
- Engineering MPhil and PhD
3 reasons to study Engineering with us
- We have lots of links with industry, including local organisations. You could do an optional placement year at companies such as Airbus Defence and Space, Network Rail, Highways England, London Underground, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars and GE Aviation.
- We have foundation degree options if you’ve got ambitions for a career in engineering, but don’t meet the entry requirements for one of our Bachelor's degree programmes.
- Access top of the line equipment, laboratories, experimental and computational facilities and expert technical support staff to get the most out of your studies.
I enjoyed everything about studying Civil Engineering at the University of Portsmouth. The lecturers were immensely supportive, and the degree is an excellent one to have – it opens doors wherever you go, and you'll be highly sought-after.
Discover Civil Engineering
Discover Energy and Electronic Engineering
Most of our courses are accredited by professional bodies such as the Institution of Engineering and Technology, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and the Institution of Engineering Designers.
Undergraduate Open Days
Thinking about joining us as an undergrad? Book your spot at one of our upcoming Open Days.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.
Applying for courses
Find out how to apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate course or a pre-sessional English Language course at the University of Portsmouth.