Browse courses by subject
Why study Engineering?
Engineering uses science, mathematics and empirical evidence to design, plan, build and maintain things like engines, power systems, machines, buildings and structures. From new product innovations to large-scale public projects, engineering keeps the modern world moving forward, so an Engineering degree is an always-relevant, always in-demand qualification.
We offer degrees in four areas of Engineering – Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering. Depending on which you decide to pursue, your undergraduate or postgraduate Engineering degree could be the perfect preparation for jobs such as aerospace engineer, product design engineer, geotechnical engineer, or an expert in sustainable construction.
No.21 university in the UK (Guardian University Guide, 2020)
3 reasons to study Engineering with us
- We have lots of links with industry, including local organisations. You could do an optional placement year at companies such as Airbus Defence and Space, Network Rail, Highways England, London Underground, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars and GE Aviation.
- We have foundation degree options if you’ve got ambitions for a career in engineering, but don’t meet the entry requirements for one of our Bachelor's degree programmes.
- Access top of the line equipment, laboratories, experimental and computational facilities and expert technical support staff to get the most out of your studies.
I enjoyed everything about studying Civil Engineering at the University of Portsmouth. The lecturers were immensely supportive, and the degree is an excellent one to have – it opens doors wherever you go, and you'll be highly sought-after.
Most of our courses are accredited by professional bodies such as the Institution of Engineering and Technology, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and the Institution of Engineering Designers.
Undergraduate Engineering courses
- Civil Engineering (Degree Apprenticeship) BEng (Hons)
- Civil Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Civil Engineering MEng
- Construction HNC
- Construction Engineering Management BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering (Top-Up) (Degree Apprenticeship) BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electronic Systems Engineering (Distance Learning) (Top-up) (2 or 3 Year) BEng (Hons)
- Engineering and Technology with Foundation Year BEng (Hons)
- Industrial Design BSc (Hons)
- Innovation Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Innovation Engineering MEng
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (Distance Learning) (Top-up) BEng (Hons)
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Top Up Degree Apprenticeship BEng (Hons)
- Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Mechanical Engineering HNC
- Mechanical Engineering MEng
- Petroleum Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Petroleum Engineering MEng
- Product Design and Innovation BSc (Hons)
- Applied Science (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Building Surveying (Degree Apprenticeship) BSc (Hons)
- Engineering and Management Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Engineering Geology and Geotechnics BEng (Hons)
- Engineering Project Management (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Engineering Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Maritime Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Software Engineering BSc (Hons)
Postgraduate Engineering courses
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology MSc
- Civil Engineering MSc
- Construction Project Management MSc
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering MSc
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering MSc (with Professional Experience)
- Energy and Power Systems Management MSc
- Engineering (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Engineering and Management (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Engineering Competence (Distance Learning) (Degree Apprenticeship) PgDip
- Engineering Geology MSc
- Engineering Management MSc
- Engineering Project Management (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Maritime Studies (Learning at Work) MSc
- Mechanical Engineering MSc
- Petroleum and Gas Engineering MSc
- Quantity Surveying MSc
- Technology MRes
- Engineering MPhil and PhD
Book your place at one of our Open Days for undergraduates, and get a feel for student life in Portsmouth.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.