Find the computing course for you
Build a future-proof portfolio and get an industry-accredited qualification to start your career in computing
Why study Computing?
From banking to communications, the smooth running of the modern world relies on the power of computing, and the importance of computing to the routines of our daily lives is growing all the time. Computing is also helping find solutions to some of the biggest challenges facing the planet.
A Computing degree is a future-proof qualification that will prepare you for the economy and the job market of the future. You'll also gain many transferable analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are in demand across a host of industries.
If you love working with computers, enjoy the challenge of learning new things quickly, and like exploring how things work and why, a degree in Computing could be for you.
Undergraduate Computing courses
- Computer Networks BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science MEng
- Computing and Information Systems (Distance Learning Top-Up) BSc (Hons)
- Computing BSc (Hons)
- Computing HND
- Creative Computing with Foundation Year BA/BSc (Hons)
- Cyber Security and Forensic Computing BSc (Hons)
- Data Science and Analytics BSc (Hons)
- Software Engineering BSc (Hons)
- Applied Computing (Learning At Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Applied Science (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Business and Computer Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Creative Technologies and Enterprise (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) BA (Hons)/BSc (Hons)
- Professional Studies CertHE
Postgraduate Computing courses
- Applied Computing (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Business and Computer Studies (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Computer Network Administration and Management MSc
- Cyber Security and Forensic Information Technology MSc
- Data Analytics MSc
- Data Analytics MSc (with Professional Experience)
- Geographical Information Systems MSc
- Information Systems MSc
- Law and LegalTech LLM
- PGCE courses PGCE
- Professional Studies (Learning at Work) MA/MSc
- Computing and Creative Technologies MPhil and PhD
What can you do with a Computing degree?
Once you graduate with a Computing degree, you'll be ready to apply for jobs in fields such as network design, cyber security, web development, computer programming and digital analytics.
3 reasons to study Computing with us
- We've got some of the best facilities in the country - including high performance computing labs, usability labs with eye tracking equipment and forensics labs.
- You can do a placement year as part of your degree to gain valuable work experience before you graduate. Previous students have worked for IBM, BAE, Lilly, CDW UK and Jagex.
- You could combine your computing studies with teacher training, school teaching placements and a bursary.
Discover Computer Networks
Eleanor: My name is Eleanor Abbiss and I study computer networks. It's about creating first world basic understanding so you learn about Windows and you learn about Linux operating systems. As well as creating your own networks, you each have your own pod and then you use that to configure your own network in here.
You are given a design and you need to fit all the routers and switches to that design. I love the problem solving aspect of my course. There's always issues that need to be solved and it's about figuring out how best to solve those problems, so that in the future you then "I know, I've had the problem before, I know how to fix it this time" and it's all about constantly evolving. Networking is constantly evolving.
I chose Portsmouth because it was the number one university for Computer Networks. They're building a new Cisco Suite which is great, and you'll be able to do your CCNA here as well as studying your degree at the same time.
Discover Data Science and Analytics
Understanding data helps us to understand the future. In everything we do, data science and analytics provides the answers that shape our world. To manage this changing world successfully, we need to know what's happening. From social media management to financial forecasting. From cosmology to climate change. And beyond our own planet, our knowledge of the universe is expanding. Each new discovery provides us with a vast amount of data that needs to be understood and analysed.
The skills I gained through this course have been crucial to starting my career in IT, and the lecturers were always incredibly helpful and supportive. Now, having been in the industry for only four years, I'm already leading a small team -- something I never thought I'd be doing!
University Open Days, tours and events
Thinking about joining us? Book your spot at one of our upcoming Open Days.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.
Find an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course that suits you at Portsmouth.