Biological sciences courses
Browse courses by subject
Biological science is key to our understanding of the natural world. It helps us understand our impact on the world, and how to reverse the damage caused by humanity. It's also the means by which we learn how to combat pathogens and other biological threats to humanity.
If you're interested in how things work, are passionate about nature, or want to make the world a better place, a degree in biological sciences may be the ideal next step for you. You'll get a deep knowledge of the natural world, and develop the field and lab abilities to progress in your career.
Why study Biological Sciences?
- We're home to the Institute of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, where our academic staff are trailblazing research into epigenetics, developmental biology, molecular biology, microbiology, marine biology, ecology and molecular biophysics. Our researchers discovered a plastic-eating enzyme which could help solve the world's plastic crisis.
- Our Biological Sciences students use some of the best facilities in the country including our Institute of Marine Sciences and our molecular biology research labs, globally regarded as some of the best available at a university.
- We have temperate marine habitats and internationally-protected conservation areas on our doorstep, making Portsmouth the ideal place to study marine biological sciences.
- Depending on which course you choose, you can get involved in research such as the Solent Native Oyster Regeneration Project and the European Xenopus Resource Centre, one of the largest frog resource facilities in the world.
- Previous graduates have gone on to roles in conservation, science teaching, forensic science, pharmaceutical research, science journalism, coastal zone management, marine policy and biomedical sales.
I've had the opportunity to research an extensive range of topics and work with supportive staff who have helped me to explore different fields to find a subject area that interests me.
Many of our undergraduate courses are accredited by the Royal Society of Biology. Accreditation shows future employers you have the skills and knowledge needed for a successful career in biological science. You can also apply for membership of professional accrediting bodies which raises the profile of your qualification.
Undergraduate Biological Sciences courses (2019/20 entry)
Still deciding what to study at university? Search for a degree from our list of subject areas to find the right course for you.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.