- Accounting, economics and finance courses
- Architecture and surveying courses
- Biological sciences
- Business, management and marketing
- Childhood, youth studies, and education courses
- Computer games, animation, and digital technologies courses
- Criminology and Forensic Studies Courses
- Data science and machine learning courses
- Drama, music, and performing arts courses
- Earth sciences
- English and creative writing
- Fashion, photography, graphic arts, and design courses
- Film and television courses
- Geography and environmental science courses
- Healthcare and social care
- History, politics and international relations courses
- Languages courses
- Law courses
- Mathematics and physics courses
- Media and journalism courses
- Psychology and sociology courses
- Sport science
Find the biological sciences course for you
Pair your ambition with one of our courses in biological science, and start making the world a better place
What is a Biological Sciences degree?
Biological Science is key to our understanding of the natural world. It helps us understand our impact on the world, and how to reverse the damage caused by humanity. It's also the means by which we learn how to combat pathogens and other biological threats to humanity.
A Biological Sciences degree could be perfect for you if you're interested in how things work, are passionate about nature, and want to make the world a better place. During your degree, you'll get a deep knowledge of the natural world, and develop the field and lab abilities to progress in your career.
And when you graduate, your Biological Sciences degree could help you follow our previous students into graduate jobs in conservation, science teaching, forensic science, pharmaceutical research, science journalism, coastal zone management, marine policy and biomedical sales.
in the UK for biosciences
(The Guardian University Guide, 2024)
Undergraduate Biological Sciences courses
5 reasons to study Biological Sciences with us
- We're ranked 18th in the UK for Biology (The Guardian University Guide, 2024).
- We're home to the Institute of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, where our academic staff are trailblazing research into epigenetics, developmental biology, molecular biology, microbiology, marine biology, ecology and molecular biophysics. Our researchers discovered a plastic-eating enzyme which could help solve the world's plastic crisis.
- Our Biological Sciences students use some of the best facilities in the country including our Institute of Marine Sciences and our molecular biology research labs, globally regarded as some of the best available at a university.
- We have temperate marine habitats and internationally-protected conservation areas on our doorstep, making Portsmouth the ideal place to study marine biological sciences.
- Depending on which course you choose, you can get involved in research such as the Solent Native Oyster Regeneration Project and the European Xenopus Resource Centre, one of the largest frog resource facilities in the world.
I've had the opportunity to research an extensive range of topics and work with supportive staff who have helped me to explore different fields to find a subject area that interests me.
Melek Ersin, BSc (Hons) Biology
Many of our undergraduate courses are accredited by the Royal Society of Biology. Accreditation shows future employers you have the skills and knowledge needed for a successful career in biological science. You can also apply for membership of professional accrediting bodies which raises the profile of your qualification.
University Open Days, tours and events
Thinking about joining us? Book your spot at one of our upcoming Open Days.
Explore our island city and its many attractions, and find out what student life is really like at the University.
Find a course by subject area
Explore our degrees by subject area. Whatever your field of interest, our courses cater to your goals and experience, from accountancy and economics to sports science. Find your course now.