SAP stands for systems, applications and products in data processing. SAP is the world's leading cloud-based business software, used by 171 million users in 180 countries. Whether you represent a business or you're a student on one of our digital transformation courses, you can use the SAP business resource planning software and equipment in our SAP Next Generation Lab.
SAP is used for business tasks including:
- Customer Resource Management (CRM) and customer experience
- Business analytics
- HR and people engagement
- Digital supply chain
- Financial planning
- Intelligent technologies
Equipment in the SAP Next Generation Lab
- 4 mobile tables, seating up to 9 people each. Each table is equipped with 3 laptops
- 20 more laptops available for collection inside the lab
- A 55-inch LED digital whiteboard
- 70-inch class screens
- SAP Leonardo digital innovation system – SAP Leonardo helps businesses incorporate growing technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, blockchain and advanced analytics into their business data processes. We're the only university in the UK to own SAP Leonardo.
SAP for students
If you're taking a course related to digital transformation such as BSc (Hons) Data Science Analytics, you can use the SAP Next-Generation Laboratory to:
- Gain practical skills in the latest cloud-based software
- Practice the theory behind business resource planning, predictive analytics and data visualisation sentiment analysis
- Explore the impact of the cloud on business processes
- Learn about new business tools and currencies
- Discover how to extract meaning from corporate data in seconds
SAP for businesses
Partner businesses can use the SAP Next Gen Lab to collaborate on business problems and short-term consultancy projects. We're keen to work with companies that would like to develop SAP-rich courses, take part in teaching students through current case studies, or who can benefit from taster courses or proof of concept systems.
If you want to trial SAP software before purchasing, you can do so in our lab. You can test business processes in areas such as sales and distribution, procurement and production planning. We can arrange for proof of concept systems to be made available at the University Competence Centre at the Technical University of Munich. This gives businesses the opportunity to try out SAP S/4HANA or HANA at very low costs.
To express an interest in events, seminars or in partnering with us, please send an enquiry to email@example.com
SAP for research
If you're looking to conduct a research project related to the SAP digital core, analytics or data warehousing, you can pitch your project to the SAP Next-Gen Lab team. Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We've conducted the following research in the lab:
- Machine learning in financial services – This research focused on how small companies could compete with the Big Four accounting firms (Deloitte, PwC, KPMG and Ernst and Young) in terms of assessing what is 'normal' in financial transactions. We explored how to highlight abnormal changes that might represent fraud.
- Creating the internet of things – We investigated how companies like Arqiva, a British telecommunications company, are working with Sigfox, a global network provider, to roll out ultra-narrow band low power networks to connect things to the internet. We looked at how the 'internet of things' links people, companies and things together in one information sharing network.
SAP for events
As a member of the SAP University Alliances program, we host events with our SAP Next-Gen Lab partners. These events are available to students and the wider public, and provide live demos and focused practice. Attendees learn about features of SAP and test these features on our SAP Leonardo digital innovation system.
We also host lectures by resident researchers and guest speakers specialised in SAP.
In 2019, we held the event 'BusinessTalk: The Digital Economy & Intelligent Enterprise'. With guest speakers from SAP, this event focused on showing companies how digital transformation is changing the nature of business
Where to find us
SAP Next Generation Lab
Richmond Building 2.08/2.09
University of Portsmouth