Create, compose, and record
Location: Eldon Building
Our brand-new music and sound recording studio complex enable students to use high-end professional technology to get the best results from complex recording sessions.
Students use and explore these facilities to create a wide range of projects, which include sound design, composition and post-production for film, animation, and video games.
Our studios have several recording spaces, a live performance room, and recording control rooms. Each contains high-specification equipment, which students can use to record, process, and mix sounds to professional standards.
Explore our Music and Sound Recording Studios
Equipment and amenities
- 96-channel Neve Genesys Black console
- Solid State Logic (SSL) Matrix2 16-channel recording console, with ten Neve 1074 preamplifiers, eight SSL E series EQ and Dynamics, and eight Neve EQ and Dynamics
- Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 surround studio
- Manley Massive Passive sound equaliser and Maselec sound compressor for mastering recordings
- Buchla System 7 synthesiser, built by Don Buchla
- Hardware synths, including emulations of classic synths
- Musical instruments, including the Fender Stratocaster and Jazz Bass guitars, Pearl Export drum kits, and Roland SPD electronic drum pads
- Instrument and voice microphones from brands such as Neumann, AKG, Sennheiser, and Sontronics
- Marshall and VOX Valve amplifiers
- Kemper guitar head
Editing suites and tools
There are five editing suites containing iMac machines, SSL audio interfaces, Genelec monitoring, and assorted software relevant to the course.
Students can also access approximately 60 iMac computers in the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries' Eldon Building. These are installed with software for video game creation, sound creation, and manipulation software, including:
- Logic Pro X
- Avid Pro Tools
- Ableton Live
- Max/MSP (including Max for Live)
- Native Instruments Komplete (including Reaktor)
CCI Open Access Suite
Our open-plan space includes PCs and Macs equipped with Adobe Creative Suite and other professional software.
Video Editing Suite
Our suite includes non-linear editing software Avid Media Composer and DaVinci Resolve, and specialist hardware for efficient film editing.
Virtual Reality Lab
Our VR lab boasts the latest immersive and interactive technologies used by the ever-evolving VR industry.